× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cannot retrieve folder with FTP, remote...

Papagaiou
Aspirant

Cannot retrieve folder with FTP, remote...

Hello,

I have an ultra 2. I updated to last firmware. Dd a factory reset. Now I am reinstalling from scratch users, share... I tried to leave as much default options as possible. I do not have any addon but ready dlna, remote and photo.
I remark that I am not able to retrieve the directory listing with FileZilla by FTP. I log in correctly but then failed to retrieve the shares and stop.
Same with remote, whatever cifs or FTP mode, I login but it fails reading shares.
Ready dlna do the same, log in then crash!

I used to be able to connect by FTP with previous firmware. FTP is enable for all shares.

What could explain this behavior?

Thanks for your suggestions.
Message 1 of 11
de_niro
Guide

what kind of error message displayed during you login FTP? have you set mutiple users to a ftp share?
Message 2 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

It logins then :
command PWD
/ is current directory
TYPE I
Type set to 1
PASV
Entering passive mode
MLSD
Timeout
Impossible to retrieve folder content

For other remote or ready dlna errors I do not know where to get logs
Message 3 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Funny from Intranet that does not work.

But from internet via my dyndns it works !!
Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Papagaiou wrote:
Funny from Intranet that does not work.

But from internet via my dyndns it works !!
The NAS is likely signaling your external IP address for the passive ports.
Message 5 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

So what is different from using FTP from my intranet? I did specify passive as well. How to correct this behavior?
Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Papagaiou wrote:
So what is different from using FTP from my intranet? I did specify passive as well. How to correct this behavior?
When you use a passive port, the FTP client asks for the port, and the NAS replies with the full IP address (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyyy). With the V1 and x86 platforms, you configure the IP address for FTP as the "masquerade address".

Some routers will forward correctly when the external IP address is used from inside the router (on the LAN), others will not. From your symptoms, I am thinking that your router does not.

Some clients (FileZilla being one) will detect if the IP address signaled is not routable, and in that case will automatically substitute the external address from the IP header of the response packet from the NAS. With those clients you can set the NAS masquerade as the internal NAS address, and they will work correctly both on the LAN and over the internet.

BTW, "intranet" is not exactly the right term for most home networks. "Intranet" is a network of LANs, generally used to describe corporate networks.
Message 7 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

You are my hero. If I force Filzilla to use Active mode then it works.

Could this issue explain why I fail to use ReadyNAS DLNA and Remote?
Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Papagaiou wrote:
Could this issue explain why I fail to use ReadyNAS DLNA and Remote?
In cases where Remote is using FTP it could be part of the puzzle. Though I haven't played with Remote in a while.
Message 9 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

Not so simple. Remote does not work also in CIFS.
Message 10 of 11
Papagaiou
Aspirant

I just want to update the thread by saying that now Remote work on my iPad.

What I did is simple but I could not imagine it. Actually I reset the network and parameters of my iPad then everything started to work by FTP and CIFS mode.

Not sure if that will fix the issue of others.

However DLNA on iPad still crashes.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements