× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot save folders to main file share 6.10.3

Pmeddy
Aspirant

Cannot save folders to main file share 6.10.3

Hi guys, I need some help!

After my Drives broke (just backing up folders, no drama), I have had to re set up my ReadyNAS312.

Setting up shares, I have a Movies share for my TV to access, but when I try and drag and drop folders from my windows machine using the normal windows explorer, to this Movies folder, it doesnt allow it. I have to drop it into a subfolder.

Beforehand, it never did this, I set it up perfectly, and as it was a while ago, I cannot remember how it was set up before I had to reset it all!

Could someone shed some light on this for me please?

Is there also a way I can hide the main file shares? Here is the scenario:

TB8 - Movies 

TB82 - TimeMachineBkup - Photos - Documents

Home

I would only like TimeMachineBkup, Photos, documents, movies showing, and not the main drive shares, if that makes sense?

Model: RN31221D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 2- Bay (2x 1TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 5
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Re: Cannot save folders to main file share 6.10.3

Hi @Pmeddy 

If you cannot transfer files to the top/root of your Movies share, but can to a sub-folder within the Movies share, it seems like file permissions might be in your way. Try resetting them and then try to transfer again afterwards.

- Open ReadyNAS web admin page.
- Navigate to "Shares" and find the Movies share.
- Hover your mouse over the share and click the cog-wheel on the right-hand side and select "Settings".
- Once in settings, navigate to the "File Access" tab.
- One here, select "Reset" on the left hand side.
- From here you can click "Reset Permissions" and it will take a few moments to complete.

This will reset file permissions back to default.

This is worth a shot.

You can hide shares in general (navigate to settings of a share and select "Network Access" > "Advanced") but I don't think you can hide a share based on permissions - as in userA can see it but userB cannot.

Cheers

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@Pmeddy wrote:

Home

If you are seeing home, then you are accessing the NAS with the admin credentials.  You should also be seeing the data volume itself.

The way to fix that is to use a different credential (setting up a NAS user account, and entering that credential into the windows credential manager).

Message 3 of 5
Pmeddy
Aspirant

Hiya, So Ive just reset the permissions for the movies folder, to see if I can drag and drop into Movies (I have a folder called"!" inside it just incase) but it wont allow me to drop into the Movies folder, yet it will allow me to do it from the !! folder inside.. It didnt fix the issue of main folder editing 😞

Message 4 of 5
rn_enthusiast
Virtuoso

Seems odd. I wonder if it is something in the naming of things.

What if you just drag a simple txt file from your Desktop, into the Movies share.

Right click on Desktop > New > Text Document

Just leave the name as the default name on the file "New Test Document". Try to drag and drop the single file into the Movies share now. Is that possible?

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements