× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cannot save or create files in any share

lencw
Aspirant

Cannot save or create files in any share

I havea new readynas214, with 4 disks setup as Raid10.

It worked fine for the first couple of weeks.

For the last 3 days, it will not let me save or create files in any of the shares. The scheduled backups which go to a separate Readynas are showing "in queue" and have not exectuted, I have checked the backup logs.

No settings have been changed over this period.

The only way to resolve file access is to reboot the NAS. 

Acess is by SMB from Windows10 PCs, with permissions setup using the Network tab on the share. In the Network settings tab everyone access is enabled for read/write, and anonymous access is disabled.

I have tried restting file permissions, it makes no difference, only a reboot fixes access.

The file access tab settings are left at default settings, nothing changed.

I have just found this line in the system log:

"Volume: The volume RAID10 encountered an error and was made read-only. It is recommended to backup your data."

System > Volumes indicates that the volume is read-only.

This error appears to be happening during the night when backups are scheduled, and only appears in the last 4 days, and tis is when the backups have also failed.

There is no indication of what the error is or how to fix it.

The discs are set to spin down after 30 minutes of inactivity, I have just turned this off to see if this is causing the issue.

Can anyone offer suggestions as to the cause and what to do to fix it?

Thanks

The disks are all new WD 2TB Reds.

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11
lencw
Aspirant

Re: Cannot save or create files in any share

Update: rebooted the NAS, the GUI is showing volume as degraded. In volume settings, the graphic is showing disc2 as grey, with the other 3 discs as blue. There is no disc info for disk 2. The light on the front of the nas is out for disk 2.

These 4 WD Red disks are around a month old, so not sure if its the HDD or the NAS itself.

Message 2 of 11
StephenB
Guru

What firmware versoion are you running?

Are the failed backup jobs using the NAS as a source or as a destination?

I suggest connecting disk 2 to a Windows PC and testing it with Western Digital's lifeguard program.  That should help figure out if it is the disk or the chassis.

I also suggest looking in disk_info.log at the disk SMART statistics, and looking in system.log and kernel.log for btrfs errors.  Read-only status generally is related to the file system integrity; a single failed disk shouldn't result in a read-only volume.

If your backup isn't up to date, then you should definitely take care of that, since the data is at risk.

Message 3 of 11
lencw
Aspirant

Thanks for advice and suggestions.

Firmware: 6.9.4 hotfix 1

I rebooted again, and it now recognises the greyed out drive 2 and is resyncing.

I manually ran backups to the other NAS, so all data secure.

Backups are from the new RNAS214 to an Ultra2Plus running OS6 with two new 4TB WD reds.

There is nothing standing out in the disk_info log relating to any errors.

The kernal.log and system.log both have btrfs errors. The first indication in the system.log is:

Nov 16 18:28:47 RNAS214 connmand[1996]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.001076 sec
Nov 16 18:45:51 RNAS214 connmand[1996]: ntp: adjust (slew): +0.000790 sec
Nov 16 19:00:35 RNAS214 snapperd[5184]: create snapshot failed, ioctl(BTRFS_IOC_SNAP_CREATE_V2) failed, errno:28 (No space left on device)
Nov 16 19:00:35 RNAS214 snapperd[5184]: THROW: create snapshot failed
Nov 16 19:00:35 RNAS214 snapperd[5184]: CAUGHT: create snapshot failed
Nov 16 19:00:35 RNAS214 snapperd[5184]: RETHROW: create snapshot failed
Nov 16 19:00:35 RNAS214 snapperd[5184]: CAUGHT: create snapshot failed

There is loads of space, so there is something wrong. It appears to be snapshots, so I am wondering if its the netgear snapshot software thats causing the erros, and not the actual drives.

For now I have not removed the drive from the NAS, so not done the WD test.

Message 4 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@lencw wrote:

There is loads of space, so there is something wrong. .

Can you post a screenshot of the volume page?

Message 5 of 11
lencw
Aspirant

Volumes page attached.

Message 6 of 11
StephenB
Guru

Thx.  I agree it looks like you have plenty of space for snapshots now - what is the most recent time that the snapshot failed due to lack of space?

Also, your volume screen makes me think that you don't have any snapshots at present.  Is that the case?

Message 7 of 11
lencw
Aspirant

There are snapshots, I can see the folders and contents.

Its has finished the resyncing, and is showing the volume as healthy.

The disk_info log is shoing no errors, and can see no errors in kernal or system logs. I can see successful resync reported.

So for now it appears to be back working with all 4 disks on RAID10, and I have a full backup on the other NAS.

I have a test share with snapshots, and that is running every hour, and has now run.

Backups are overnight, so will see what happens.

I have turned off disk spindown, it was set to 30 minutes, just in case that was part fo the problem.

Is there any way to tell from the logs what has casued this?

Message 8 of 11
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have quota enabled on the volume settings, then perhaps try enabling it, so you can get more details on snapshot space usage.  They don't take up any space when first created, but over time they do start using space.

If you haven't run a balance or a scrub, you might want to run them as well (also on the volume settings wheel).

FWIW, one issue I have with the "smart snapshot" settings is that some snapshots are retained indefinitely.  That will build up snapshot usage over time.  I prefer to use "custom snapshots", so I can limit the retention time.

@lencw wrote:

Is there any way to tell from the logs what has casued this?

Perhaps PM a mod (such as @Marc_V and @JohnCM_S) and ask them if they are willing to analyze them.  Download the log zip now, as the logs do rotate, and you want as much info as you can get.  Don't post links to them publically, as there is some info in them that shouldn't be public.

Message 9 of 11
lencw
Aspirant

StephenB - thanks again for your suggestions. Not sure how to PM someone in the forum, how is that done please. Would raising a support ticket with netgear be helpful with this? I have the zip log downloaded.

For now, the NAS is back working as it should. Disc spindown is off, so I will leave that off for a couple of weeks then turn back on and see if thats part of the issue.

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@lencw wrote:

Not sure how to PM someone in the forum, how is that done please.

You send a private message (PM) by clicking on the envelope icon in the upper right of the forum.

@lencw wrote:

Would raising a support ticket with netgear be helpful with this? 

Yes, though there is a cost for paid support.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements