× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cascade+38 error

JSev00
Aspirant

Cascade+38 error

My ReadyNAS RN204 froze today and I noticed an error "cascade+38" on the display.  Searched the internet to see what it meant but didn't come up with anything.  I wasn't able to reboot it by using the button and was forced to turn the power off.

Anyone know what the error means?

Model: RN20400|4BAY Diskless Desktop Readynas Storage
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cascade+38 error

That's a snippet of a kernel error message.

Have you downloaded your logs and looked in those for clues?

Message 2 of 6
JSev00
Aspirant

Thanks for the reply.  I hadn't taken much notice of the download option, just viewing them online which has little interesting detail so I was a bit surprised at the amount of info you get when you download them!

Had a look at the kernel log and various system ones but nothing untoward before the reboot that I could see,

Having said that, it did happen again and seems to be an issue when attaching/removing an external HDD using the eSATA connection as that is when it happened on both occasions.  This never used to be an issue but I guess an OS update has started causing issues here.

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send those logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 4 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you unmount the eSATA disk before disconnecting it?

What about using USB? Do you see the problem if you use that instead?

Message 5 of 6
JSev00
Aspirant

Hi.  Yes, I unmount it from the System -> overview screen and click on the button on the drive and select Eject.

I have no problems with USB devices apart from them being a bit slower to transfer things 🙂

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements