× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Change Music share from /data/Music to /home/musik

bengsig
Aspirant

Change Music share from /data/Music to /home/musik

I have stored all my music in /home/musik, which e.g. works well for Logitech Media Server, which I simply point at that directory.  However, the default SMB/DLNA share named "Music" points at /data/Music.  How can I change the "Music" share so it points to /home/musik?  If I modify /etc/fronview/​samba/Shares.conf, the change is lost at next reboot.

I'm on a ReadyNas 212 with 6.9.4 Hotfix 1 firmware.

Model: RN21200|ReadyNAS 212 Series 2-Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Normally /home is for "private" shares.  If you didn't create a musik user on the NAS, then you did something wrong by manually creating that folder.

You could copy the files in /home/music into Music, and then remove musik - either by deleting the user (if you created one) or deleting the folder (if you didn't). After /home/musik is gone, you could rename the share to musik if you wish.

Then reconfigure LMS to point to the share.

Message 2 of 8
bengsig
Aspirant

It was a careful decision, and I do also have a user called "musik" (which is the Danish spelling for music...).  I also NFS export /home to a few other systems that automount them and there, I set the umask for the musik user to 0002, again a careful decision.  Whenever I add music to my collection, I do it from my laptop running Linux, which automounts the whole /home directory with my real user home directories, one of which is "musik".  An additional benefit of everything in /home is that my cloud backup just needs to deal with one directory, namely /home.  

So therefore, I truly would like to have the SAMBA/DLNA share that externally is "Music" have its contents in /home/musik.  Will making /data/Music be a symbolic link to /home/musik do it?  Are there other ways?  As /etc/frontview/samba/Shares.conf gets overwritten at boot, where is the contents really saved?

Message 3 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

Home is a system folder.

You can't point the dlna to the home share.

to change the (other) dlna shares you simply need to go to os6 admin page

shares > mouse over the share you wish to set > click the gear icon > settings > network access > click dlna > enable the content types you want enabled for that share.

Message 4 of 8
bengsig
Aspirant

/home is a directory just like any other directory, and I NFS export it to other systems where I (manually rather than via e.g. NIS) have the same user and group id's, and having everything created by anybody and for any purpose under /home simplifies things a lot.  Just one example is backup's, where all I need to care about is /home.  Scattering things that users created into various places (like Windows does) only complicates things.  So please, how do I achieve this?

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Note we are community members (Netgear customers) - not Netgear employees.

@bengsig wrote:

/home is a directory just like any other directory,

Actually it has different ACL than the public shares, and that also might be enforced by the ReadyNAS application.  Note also that all shares are BTRFS subvolumes, and not just folders.  Though since you did create a musik user, it sounds like the system created the /home/musik subvolume.

Personally I don't use the home share(s), because they aren't as easy to restore as normal public shares.

@bengsig wrote:

So please, how do I achieve this?

The recommended way to do this would have been to create a public musik share (\data\musik), and optionally restrict access to the specific user (with a different username than musik).  Or simply rename the music share and change the access.

But as far as /home/musik goes - you can of course access musik with SMB already (using either the musik credentials or the NAS admin credentials).  You can also remove the music share to prevent any confusion.

You could also try creating an override file (/etc/minidlna.conf.local) as described here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS-in-Business/Unable-to-manually-edit-minidlna-co...

Message 6 of 8
bengsig
Aspirant

Eventually I solved it by not using the ReadyNAS to export from.  In stead, I use another little server with a plain Ubuntu install, which (as I already described) automounts the NFS export of /home from the ReadyNAS, and I then make a readonly music share from the other server of /net/nas/home/musik.   The whole thing may actually be made worse by the way my Powernode2 (from Bluesound) which I the unit I use to actually listen to the music mounts shares.  

To those who comment about my use of /home: The /home directory on the ReadyNAS is used like /home on any other Linux system, and each user is created using useradd, groupadd, etc; everything in the completely traditional UNIX style.  Maybe I should have started by telling that I used UNIX five years before I got my first PC, and except for the reasonable desktop, I don't like Windows.

Ironically, the real core of all these prolems is that all the systems involved pretend they are Windows while in fact I don't have a single Windows system in my home.  My routers run Linux variants, the Powernode2 runs busybox, my laptop and another server runs Ubuntu, the ReadyNAS itself runs a Linux variant; may handheld devices run Android.  It's really a pity that all these have to use a proprietary protocol for doing something as simple as sharing a directory among them, when they could use NFS.  

Merry Christmas to all!

Message 7 of 8
Sandshark
Sensei

Well, I think the solution was to put a symbolic like to /home/musik in /data/Music (not replace it, as you had suggested).  From my experimentation, ReadyDLNA does follow symbolic links.  What doesn't seem to work so well is auto update of what's linked.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements