× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Cloud Backup options for my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition

mrwizard93
Aspirant

Cloud Backup options for my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition

I would like to backup my NAS to the cloud using either Crashplan/Carbonite/Amazon Cloud (unlimited storage for less than $10/month).

I have not found an elegant solution yet on the forums so that I can use my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition (running RAIDiator 4.2.27) directly to perform the backup using an app.

My only other option would be to install an app on an always on computer connected to the NAS and backing up like that.

Has anyone solved this yet on this version of ReadyNAS device?

And please, do not recommend the Netgear options (Readynas Vault, Egnyte) because the prices are just ridiculously astronomical given today's cloud storage environment.

I also need a bit of a dumbed down version because although I am a bit techie, I am not an expert by any means.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

There is a long thread on installing crashplan on the Pro here: viewtopic.php?t=61152
Message 2 of 6
rjacobsen
Tutor

\Rant on\
CrashPlan and NAS backup destination should go together like cookies and milk. Seriously a forum post with 219+ comments is what it takes in 2015?
\Rant off\

Quick question I have a 10TB ReadyNAS 516

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/storage/readynas/RN51600.aspx#tab-techspecs

will the first post work or do I have to read through 218 "gotchas" to get this to work?

Is there a plug-in or app which can do this quicker?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

As far as code42 (the company that owns crashplan) is concerned, headless crashplan installed in a linux system is unsupported. Backing up the NAS is within their license terms, so it is legit, but unsupported. Crashplan is not open source, so anyone who creates an app w/o code42's permission is taking some risks. So you are on your own as far as installation goes.

I haven't installed crashplan on OS6, so someone else will need to answer that.
Message 4 of 6
rjacobsen
Tutor

Thanks StephenB for the feedback.

Anyone install CrashPlan on OS6? More specifically 6.2.2 and live to tell about it?
Message 5 of 6
felixvd
Aspirant

I tried to install it on a RN104 running 6.2.4 and gave up when I couldn't replace Crashplan's Java with an ARM version. It might have worked if I had had a JRE installed when I installed Crashplan, but my bitterness about the dismal backup support is taking over and I'm not willing to waste any more time on this.

UPDATE: I did get it to work and it seems to be running fine. I used this manual, Crashplan 4.2 and openjdk-7-jre: http://blog.andrewkoebbe.com/posts/2014/06/installing-crashplan-headless-on-a-readynas-102/

edit2: I had to make the crashplan service restart every 2 hours because the transfers kept crashing, but I'm a week in without more issues. Let's hope for the best.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements