× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Confused about RN316 status with new drive

reburns
Aspirant

Confused about RN316 status with new drive

I'm not sure what is happening with my RN316.

First Q&A:  Yes, all data is backed up.

Secondly; the NAS is still online with data accessible.

What I did:

(1) turned the unit off for a week while I wasn't working

(2)  received a new 16TB HDD in the mail

(3) turned the unit back on and swapped out a 14TB and in the 16TB.

What happened:

It started scrubbing.  I looked up what that was and recently decided to abort that process.

It is saying "remove inactive volumes to use the disk.  Disk #2, 3, 5, 6

It's not listing any rebuilding to the new drive. Perhaps patience is needed?  Or???

Attached are screen captures. My intent is to eventually move the used 14TB to an OS6 Pro Pioneer and use 16TB drives in the RN316.

Thanks much (again) - Ralph

Message 1 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

2021-01-02a_RN316_PerformanceScreen.JPG screen capture attached.

Message 2 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

2021-01-02a_RN316_VolumesScreen.JPG screen capture attached.

Thank you! - Ralph

Message 3 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@reburns

Can you send me the full logs via PM? Please refrain from sending logs publicly as it may compromise privacy.

Also, seeing the captures, it seems that the array is already on the degraded state before you swapped the drives. There might have been a failing or failed drive that should have been swapped.

Removing the 14TB drive got the array from degraded to dead getting the volume offline. This will need escalation to support to properly remount and recover your data. Note that you might be required to purchase a Data Recovery contract or if it just went out of sync and you are still under a Support contract then they will assist you right away.

HTH

Message 4 of 13
Sandshark
Sensei

Could you have mis-read what was happening?  When you swap out a drive, it has to sync, not scrub.  Pulling a drive during an active sync is a really bad thing, and probably is what killed your volume.  I am confused as to why you would replace a 14TB for a 16TB, as you would have gained no additional space.  Was there something that drove you to do that that could be a factor here?

Message 5 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

Hello & thanks for the replies!

I'm guessing that Marc_V is correct that the array was downgraded before I swapped - I didn't check!  

Also realized that I lied about having full backups for that data... there is a portion that I don't have backed up, because it's replaceable for a fee and some PIA, but since the array is working I'm backing up now before making another move.

I'm confident that "resync" did not start with the new 16TB HDD.  FWIW, the motivation was to start using all 16Tb drives in the RN316 now that they are available, and use 14TB drives in my OS6 Pro Pioneer.  So I had planned on simply moving the 14TB to the Pro Pioneer.  From what I saw, all the new big drives are healthy.  

I'm curious if I can just swap back in the untouched #1 14TB to get back to where I was two days ago, and then go about fixing the bad drive before moving on?

Thanks much!  - Ralph

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

I'm guessing that Marc_V is correct that the array was downgraded before I swapped - I didn't check!  

Your first screen shot shows the volume becoming degraded at 6:32 pm (7 minutes before you removed the 14 TB drive at 6:39 pm).  It looks like this happened when you booted the system (since the degraded message comes just a couple of seconds before the "background service started" message.

@reburns wrote:

I'm curious if I can just swap back in the untouched #1 14TB to get back to where I was two days ago, and then go about fixing the bad drive before moving on?

It's worth a try.  Power down the NAS first and swap the drive.  If the volume mounts, then immediately back up the remaining data.  Then figure out why it is degraded.

Message 7 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

Thanks StephenB -

I'm backing up the remaining data now... which will take a solid day.  Unless wisdom arises to dictate otherwise, after backup I'll try replacing the original 14TB and see how it goes.

Is it odd that the array is still working?

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Is it odd that the array is still working?

he volume was marked as dead in your first screen shot - if you can access the data, then something must have changed.

What status are you seeing in the web ui?  T

Message 9 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

Attached.  It shows a 1-1/2 hour interlude with death.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

Attached.  It shows a 1-1/2 hour interlude with death.

That's not something I've seen before.  

@JohnCM_S / @Marc_V : is this something you want to delve more into? 

Message 11 of 13
reburns
Aspirant

How about a factory reset, starting with only the one 16TB HDD?

(Turns out that I already had everything backed up, but did it again).

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@reburns wrote:

How about a factory reset, starting with only the one 16TB HDD?

If you want to do a factory reset, then do it with all drives in place - that is much faster than starting with one and then expanding.

But if you decide to start with one drive anyway, you need to start with the smallest drive, not the largest.  Otherwise the system either won't let you add the others at all, or you will end up with less capacity.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements