× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Confused about drives

Webagents
Aspirant

Confused about drives

Hello,

I have recently bought an NV+

I want to put 4 x 2TB drives in it.

I have 2 x 2TB drives from when I got the free drive offer with my duo.

One is a Seagate ST32000542AS
The other is a Seagate ST2000DL003

I thought they were the same.

What are the differences between them and would they be fine in the NV+ together?
Which drives should I buy to add to them for my NV+ in X-Raid?

Thanks
Message 1 of 4
Webagents
Aspirant

Re: Confused about drives

I've checked the HCL for the NV+ and both drives are on it - but one of them is rated as double the cach and speed of the other...

What difference will that make (if any) in the NV+ and which drives should I buy to install with them?
Message 2 of 4
PapaBear1
Guide

You should be able to mix and match different brands and models of drives as long as they are the same size and on the HCL. I once had two Seagate ST350063AS, a Samsung HD501LJ and a Seagate ST3750640AS in my NV+ and never had a problem. (Only 500GB of the 750GB was utilized on that drive) The 542AS is an older drive and has all but disappeared from the retail chain. The DL003 is a green drive that takes less power because of the lower RPM. This should not be a problem in the NV+.

Some have had good luck with this drive and some have not. You might be interested in this discussion where I researched some of the drives on the HCL and online retailers for a member. While he has the Duo, as you are aware the same drives will work in the NV+. Also, if you have an array on those drives established on the Duo, it should have come right up on the NV+.
Message 3 of 4
Webagents
Aspirant

So if mix 3Gb/s and 6Gb/s drives it won't matter? Is this because the NV+ only works at sata 1 speeds and so any faster drive will be slowed to sata 1 speed?

What about the differences in cache size, won't it matter either?

There is no benefit to having four drives of the same model?

I should just buy the cheapest 2tb drives on the HCL and mix and match them with the two seagates I have?

Thanks
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements