× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Confused by free space Netgear104 in Raid5

cirks
Aspirant

Confused by free space Netgear104 in Raid5

I have a Netgear104 which has 4*2TB drives in it and is set to be running in RAID5.  According to all Raid calculators this suggests I should have ~5.5 TB usable space and this is confirmed by RAIDar as below so shows I should have 3.5TB free space as I have 1.8TB of files.
However, Explorer etc only reports 18Mb free at present and copying more data to the share reports diskfull.
What do I need to do to get the free space and make it usable or have I just made a fundamental mistake?

cirks_0-1663837697153.png

cirks_1-1663837767189.png

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

@cirks wrote:

I have a Netgear104 which has 4*2TB drives in it and is set to be running in RAID5.  According to all Raid calculators this suggests I should have ~5.5 TB usable space and this is confirmed by RAIDar as below so shows I should have 3.5TB free space as I have 1.8TB of files.
However, Explorer etc only reports 18Mb free at present and copying more data to the share reports diskfull.
What do I need to do to get the free space and make it usable or have I just made a fundamental mistake?

Your second screenshot looks like a local disk, and not a mapped network drive/share.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@cirks wrote:

Your second screenshot looks like a local disk, and not a mapped network drive/share.

Message 2 of 3
cirks
Aspirant

Thanks @StephenB - I can't believe I was so stupid!  You're right. The B: drive is the local one which is being backed up to the NAS and it's the local drive reporting being full whereas the share to which it's backed up does show the 3.5TB free.   

Thank you and sorry!

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements