× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connect to a remote NUT Server (Synology NAS)

Smaky
Aspirant

Connect to a remote NUT Server (Synology NAS)

I want to configure my ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus upgraded to 6.10.2 so that it shutdown orderly one my UPS signals the NUT server it is connected to to do so.

In my scenario I have a Synology NAS which has the UPS connected and the UPS configuration to enable the remote server to work. I understand Synology uses NUT as the infrastructure to manage such a task. 

I have tried to configure the ReadyNAS UPS to use a Remote UPS so that it connects to the Synology Box which is already setup to allow for connections from the ReadyNAS IP addres. I have entered the IP address of the Synology box together with the default user -monuser- and passowrd -secret- for the Synology box. However I am unable to connect to it getting the following error when I try:

Failed to communicate with UPS

Error in during post proc

Code 17003030001

running uspc UPS@<SynologyIPaddress>

Shows this...

upsc UPS@192.168.10.12
battery.charge: 100
battery.runtime: 2112
battery.type: PbAc
battery.voltage: 26.9
battery.voltage.nominal: 24.0
device.mfr: Tripp Lite
device.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
device.serial: FW-2473 A
device.type: ups
driver.name: usbhid-ups
driver.parameter.pollfreq: 30
driver.parameter.pollinterval: 5
driver.parameter.port: auto
driver.version: DSM6-2-24912-190318
driver.version.data  TrippLite HID 0.81
driver.version.internal: 0.38
input.frequency: 59.8
input.voltage: 122.4
input.voltage.nominal: 120
output.frequency.nominal: 60
output.voltage.nominal: 120
ups.beeper.status: enabled
ups.delay.shutdown: 20
ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
ups.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
ups.power.nominal: 1500
ups.productid: 2009
ups.serial: FW-2473 A
ups.status: OL
ups.timer.reboot: 65535
ups.timer.shutdown: 65535
ups.vendorid: 09ae
ups.watchdog.status: 0

So it seems to me NUT on the ReadyNAS is able to reach NUT on the Synology. However it does not succeeds while configuring it on FrontView.

Any hints on whether I need to customize the config of NUT on the Synology side or on the configuration options provided on the ReadyNAS side?

Model: RNDP600U|ReadyNAS Ultra 6 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Smaky
Aspirant

nevermind I found the solution to this. I need to configure the name of the ups as it is setup on the Synology Box. In this case the name is 'ups' once I capture that on frontview and added the IP address and user/password, the ReadyNAS was able to connect to the NUT Server.

Hopefully this is useful for someone else.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Smaky
Aspirant

nevermind I found the solution to this. I need to configure the name of the ups as it is setup on the Synology Box. In this case the name is 'ups' once I capture that on frontview and added the IP address and user/password, the ReadyNAS was able to connect to the NUT Server.

Hopefully this is useful for someone else.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Great that you figured it out.

Though you likely have thought of this, just in case...  Make sure everything on the network path between the Synology and the ReadyNAS are also protected - preferably by the same UPS, though a different UPS with a longer run time would also work.  If they are both on the same switch, then protecting the switch is enough - you don't need to protect the router, as the switch should have both devices in it's switching table.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements