× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Connecting a Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB to my RN102 - Any Issues?

Viffergb
Luminary

Connecting a Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB to my RN102 - Any Issues?

Hi

I'm thinking of purchasing a 'Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB' drive to connect to my spare USB 3.0 port on the rear panel of my RN 102.

Are there likely to be any issues in doing this?  The manual for the drive states as follows:-

"....* Performance may vary depending on user’s system to which T5 is connected. Even when using USB 3.0 connections, T5 may not perform well if your system does not support UASP (USB Attached SCSI Protocol). Please make sure that your system supports UASP."

Does the RN 102 have this 'UASP' support?

Thanks.

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting a Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB to my RN102 - Any Issues?

I believe the answer is no: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Does-ReadyNAS-support-UASP-on-USB-3-0-po...

I think the drive will still work, but it won't transfer as fast.  But the speed would be limited by the RN102's relatively slow CPU and the (probably mechanical) internal drives anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Re: Connecting a Samsung MU-PA500B/EU Portable SSD T5 500GB to my RN102 - Any Issues?

I believe the answer is no: https://community.netgear.com/t5/New-ReadyNAS-Users-General/Does-ReadyNAS-support-UASP-on-USB-3-0-po...

I think the drive will still work, but it won't transfer as fast.  But the speed would be limited by the RN102's relatively slow CPU and the (probably mechanical) internal drives anyway.

Message 2 of 3
Viffergb
Luminary

Thanks for your reply. Yes, as you say, the transfer speed most likely won't be as fast, but that wouldn't be an issue for me, plus of course taking into account your observations about the speed limiting factors of the RN 102 box anyway 😉.

I can always make good use of the drive as an additional one connected directly to my laptop if it's not effective when plugged into the NAS.

Thanks again for your input, it's appreciated.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements