× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Connection Limit ReadyNAS 3138

dpitts
Aspirant

Connection Limit ReadyNAS 3138

Everything was great before the people arrived...   🙂

This weekend I setup the new ReadyNAs.  Moved files from a Windows 2008 server.  We have about 9 MACs and about 6 PCs.  I connected everyone.  SMB on the MACs and with each user's own login.

When i connected people I browsed randomly around the server and all was well - and it seemd to be faster than the Windows server..

Now that everyone has arrived I have several people that are on MACs that when they clicked the folder - nothing...just hung.  And on PCs (Windows 10) that when they click a folder it hung.  I went to a PC and clicked the fodler and the top green progress bar went across slowly and eventually - literally minutes later hte folder opens.

What.  The.  Heck.  ?  Why can my users not browse folders quickly anymore?  Have I hit some limit?

Please help.  

Model: RN3138|ReadyNAS 3138 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @dpitts

It's definitely not a connection limit. Have you checked the logs for any possible errors? Are they receiving any messages or it just freeze when trying to access?

Have you tried doing a reboot? or have you tried doing a firmware update on the NAS?

Regards

Message 2 of 7
dpitts
Aspirant

@Marc_V - thank you for replying and trying to help.

They just hang - it sits there...  sometimes the Finder window closes (MAC).  Other times on the PC the Explorer window starts saying "Not Responding".

LOGS.  I login to the Wed interface.  Click System.  Click Log.  and on the left side I see Errors, Warnings, Info.  I look at those and I don't see anything specific.....

I'm a newbie....but it seems there should be more detailed logs....somewhere?  Help.

Message 3 of 7
ctechs
Apprentice

What version of firmware are you running? If it's 6.9.4, try downloading and installing 6.9.3 manually. 6.9.4 has a pretty severe bug that causes btrfs and smb hangs.

Message 4 of 7
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @dpitts

I would try updating to OS 6.9.5-RC1, it fixes SMB Connection issues.

Regards

Message 5 of 7
dpitts
Aspirant

@ctechs says downgrade, @Marc_V says upgrade.

I'm running 6.9.4

I love technology.  🙂

Message 6 of 7
StephenB
Guru

@dpitts wrote:

@ctechs says downgrade, @Marc_V says upgrade.

It's a bug introduced in 6.9.4.  I saw similar timeouts with 6.9.4, and chose to downgrade to 6.9.3.  That solved it for me.

Upgrading to 6.9.5 beta might also fix it (hopefully it will, since it will be released soon).

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements