× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Copying 1TB of Data to new ReadyNAs (accross home network)

silvercue
Aspirant

Copying 1TB of Data to new ReadyNAs (accross home network)

This doesn't really fit in backups section - so here goes:

I recently had my Buffalo NAS die on me. I have managed to salvage the HDD and put that into my PC (Windows Vista 64). But Windows cannot read the disk as it is an XFS file system (AFAIK) and I need to boot into Ubunto to see the files, or use a programme that allows me to read XFS from Windows.

I have now purchased a Ready Nas Ultra 2 and put 2x3TB drives in.

I want to copy all of the data from the Buffalo drive (1 tera) across the home network, including via powerlines to the new NAS. I am concerned that simply copying and leaving to run for hours will not work and will likely have errors and stall.

So I want to use some decent (preferably free) backup software that can copy the data and more intelligently and compare folder structures. I looked at VicaVerca (sp?) but that cannot read XFS.

Can anyone recommend some software to use or a better way of doing this?

PS - I am booting into Ubuntu from the CD - so I don't think I can install Linux friendly software to do this.
Message 1 of 4
victorhortalive
Aspirant

Re: Copying 1TB of Data to new ReadyNAs (accross home networ

I think the answer to your question is going to be to install Ubuntu and then run a Windows VM within Ubuntu.
The Ubuntu Linux will read the XFS files, pass them to the Windows VM and then you can use a Windows programme to read/copy the files out to your new ReadyNAS.

See : http://www.google.com/search?q=read+xfs ... =firefox-a

Sounds difficult and probably is difficult.

I suppose you could also just read the drive in a Ubuntu installation and use a native Linux copy programme to copy the files across (don't know one off the top of my head as I have stopped using Ubuntu).
Either way you will have to install Ubuntu and not do a LiveCD installation. If you don't have space on your PC, then consider shrinking your Windows installation using GParted.

I suggest you ask the question on the Ubuntu forums and ask someone for a "HowTo" guide.

Maybe your best option is to look for another Buffalo user and try to "borrow" the NAS for a few hours.
Message 2 of 4
silvercue
Aspirant

Thanks.

Can't find anything that will help.

If I log onto Windows no programs can see the XFS drive and the ReadyNAS to copy. They can all see one or the other. If I boot to Ubuntu I can copy the files, but here is the problem...

It is soooo slow. 1.5mbs is all I can get.

I have a GBLan, only broken by powerlines, which I know limit speed. If I do data transfer tests on my LAN the results are 13mbs, when crossing powerlines, so why can I only copy from my XFS file system to the NAS at 1.5mbs?

Is the bottleneck the NAS? The Hitatchi drives (7200)...or something else. I though it may be Ubuntu running from CD, but i have logged into Windows and copied a file from my PC top the NAS and it was the same speed.

Should I expect more?
Message 3 of 4
victorhortalive
Aspirant

There are lots of posts in the Performance forum about poor data rates.
Suggest you look at reinstalling and updating your NIC drivers as well as the settings on any switch that you have.
Can you run a direct cable connection as Powerline links are not designed for speed.
I used them some 5 years ago and only achieved 15% of the rated speed plus there was a lot of additional network up/down signalling traffic.

Glad to see that you can actually access the data anyway, but you will be better off if you can do a real Ubuntu install - even temporarily.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements