× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Copying from ReadyNAS Duo slows to a crawl

CougarFan
Aspirant

Copying from ReadyNAS Duo slows to a crawl

For years when I have tried to copy files to/from my ReadyNAS Duo, it has been an excruciating experience--very slow.  After a computer restart or at unexplained times, speeds seem to be OK, but most of the time, they are so slow that I can't even get images to show thumbnails.  Now I'm trying to copy the contents of my shares to an external USB drive on my computer, and it's going to take years at these speeds.

I have my ReadyNAS Duo connected to a Verizon Fios router (ActiontecMI424WR Rev. I).  I'm running Windows Vista, and it's connected to the router via ethernet cable.  According to RAIDiator 4.1.14, the status is 1000 Mbit / Full-Duplex with MTU of 1500.

Help!

Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Copying from ReadyNAS Duo slows to a crawl

If the PC is windows, please try NasTester, and report the speed it gives (http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance)

Message 2 of 10
CougarFan
Aspirant

I ran NasTester and got these results:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
NAS performance tester 1.7 http://www.808.dk/?nastester
Running warmup...
Running a 400MB file write on Y: 5 times...
Iteration 1: 11.25 MB/sec
Iteration 2: 10.56 MB/sec
Iteration 3: 11.25 MB/sec
Iteration 4: 11.25 MB/sec
Iteration 5: 11.25 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Average (W): 11.11 MB/sec
-----------------------------
Running a 400MB file read on Y: 5 times...
------------------------------------------------------------------------

However, I normally get much slower times, and the more I copy/paste files, the worse it gets.  In fact, I tried copying all the files (about a third of a Terabyte) to my computer (because I'm trying to back them up to a USB 1 Terabyte drive), and after 12 hours, copying had basically stopped.  Also, just now, after I completed the test above, when I opened Windows Explorer and clicked on the Y drive (a shared folder in the drive), it hung.  The Windows Vista spinning circle just keeps spinning, and Windows Explorer has the message "Not Responding."  It did this for two minutes before finally showing me the contents.

I restarted the computer and then did three large copies from the ReadyNAS Duo to my computer.  Note that both the ReadyNAS Duo and my computer are connected to my router with Ethernet cables.  These are the copies and the speeds:

1. 739 items (519 MB):  Started at over 5 MB/sec and ended around 4.35 MB/sec

2. 25,494 items (50.5 GB):  Started at around 3.5 MB/sec and ended around 7.79 MB/sec

3. 11,763 items (11.8 GB):  Started at around 7 MB/sec; however,
        Items remaining (after about 16 hours):  395 (465 MB)
        Speed:  192 KB/sec and falling

So I finally quit.  While I sometimes can copy and paste a few files without problems, it's just as likely to take a long time to transfer files.  It has been this way from multiple computers.

Any ideas?
Message 3 of 10
StephenB
Guru

11 MB/sec sounds like there is a fast ethernet link on the path.

Are the PC and the NAS both running gigabit?  

Message 4 of 10
CougarFan
Aspirant

The network connection status in Windows is showing 100 Mbps.

Message 5 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Does your Windows machine have a gigabit port? If yes, then perhaps you could try putting a gigabit switch between the router and your PC/NAS.

Message 6 of 10
StephenB
Guru

What equipment is on the path between the NAS and the PC?

I am thinking you are getting packet loss due to buffer overrun.  If so, the solution is either to ensure you have ethernet flow control enabled in the device that is doing the downspeed to 100 mbits, or (not as good) set up the NAS to run on 100 mbit ethernet.

Of course if you can get end-to-end gigabit, that would be better still.

Message 7 of 10
CougarFan
Aspirant

The only equipment in the path is a Verizon Fios router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev. I).  Do you know how to enable ethernet flow control?  I logged in and looked through all the router settings and couldn't see that.  Is it something I do in Windows?

The router does show the port that the NAS is connected to is gigabit:  "Connected 1000 Mbps Full-Duplex."

If it turns out the best option is to set up the NAS to run on 100mbit ethernet, how do I do that?

Thanks for your help.

Message 8 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Looking at the router datasheet - it does support 802.3x flow control.  So that shouldn't be the issue.  If you have jumbo frames enabled on the NAS (MTU > 1500) then you should set the MTU back to 1500.  100 mbit ethernet is limited to a 1500 byte MTU.

If your router lets you set the link speed to 100 mbits for the NAS, you can try that.  Another appoach (slightly more work) is to directly connect the NAS ethernet to the PC (bypassing the router).  To do that you'd need to set up a static IP address on the PC temporarily.  That's called a direct connect procedure, and it is briefly outlined here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21414/~/how-do-i-direct-connect-between-readynas-and-p...

So try one of those options (just as a test) and see if the speed stabilizes.

Is this PC a laptop or a desktop model?  If it is a desktop, then a reasonable option is to add on a gigabit ethernet interface.  You can get them for $10-$20 US.

Message 9 of 10
CougarFan
Aspirant

OK, I set the link speed to 100 mbits for the NAS.  We'll see how that goes.  Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements