× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Copying from ReadyNAS to USB

wolffpower
Aspirant

Copying from ReadyNAS to USB

Hello: I'm trying to copy a large file from my ReadyNAS RN314 to a USB3.0. I want to copy the file directly to the USB, not via my laptop, since that's painfully slow. I'm running Windows 10.

I've enabled anonymous access for the USB and am able to see it in Shares. If I select and copy the file I want using the Shares > Browse interface, and then copy it to the USB, the NAS just seems to create a 1 byte binary file and then stop copying.

I have seen some posts around using SSH, but although I've enabled SSH on the NAS, I can't seem to get access to the NAS (I've tried using Putty).

I can't be the first person to want to do this, but I've really struggled to find any suitable posts elsewhere. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@wolffpower

Welcome to the Community!

Have you checked the logs why the copying of file stopped? Have you tried reformatting the USB drive on the NAS? It would be best if you can check on the logs or check if there were any errors showing up after it stopped copying the data.

Have you tried drag and drop? IMO, copying it thru your Computer is the easiest way but if your USB drive is already connected on the NAS there shouldn't be a problem with that. You may want to try reinserting the USB Drive on the NAS do the copy again.

HTH

Regards

Message 2 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@wolffpower wrote:

I'm trying to copy a large file from my ReadyNAS RN314 to a USB3.0. I want to copy the file directly to the USB, not via my laptop, since that's painfully slow. I'm running Windows 10.

SAMBA does support all the various features allowing different methods for supporting Server-Side Copy To my knowledge, everything is configured and enabled on recent ReadyNAS systems. 

One point is not clear: Windows 10 does - unless it was hevaily modded form the default - not allow different access to the same storage/server using different credentials resp. authenticated and nonauthenticated access. If using the comon trick to access the NAS once by using the hostname, like \\radynas\share and by IP like \\192.168.123.45\USB , Windows 10 does take this as two different devices and won't request any server side function - the data _will_ transfer over the network twice.

The correct approach would be granting group or user based access to the USB storage, and access both the internal storge share and the USB share using the same name and security environment.

But also when using the Web based UI to access the share: The copy process will be local, and it must succeed.

Message 3 of 9
wolffpower
Aspirant

Hi  @Marc_V and thanks for the quick response.

1. I have checked the logs and there is nothing to indicate that the copying started, or stopped, for that matter.

2. I have tried drag and drop from within Windows Explorer (is that what you meant?) but that is very slow: NAS > wireless > LAPTOP > wireless > USB... I would have hoped that with the USB plugged directly into the NAS, I could copy directly.

3. I formatted the USB in the NAS as FAT32. No change.

Message 4 of 9
wolffpower
Aspirant

Thanks @schumaku . Yes, I had assumed it would work with the NAS web-based UI, else why allow the "copy" and "paste" options within the UI in the first place? Very strange!

JFYI: I had enabled anonymous access on the USB based on other discussions I had read, but it doesn't appear to have made any difference.

Any further suggetions?

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Ahhhh this was added on top of the standard access rights - OK.

Not much to add - you might try to run a file system check on the USB device, e.g. for NTFS on a Windows system. While the non-Linux-native driver are very robust when it comes to most access right issues (bypassing almost everything known on NTFS) they can struggle if the file system isn't healthy.

Message 6 of 9
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I agree with @schumaku, checking the USB drive is best to make sure that the cause of the issue is not the USB itself. 

Have you tried using another USB to check if it has the same issue? 

Message 7 of 9
StephenB
Guru

Note you can do a direct copy on the NAS to the USB device using a backup job.  And of course it is easily done with ssh.

Message 8 of 9
Sandshark
Sensei

@wolffpower wrote:

I have seen some posts around using SSH, but although I've enabled SSH on the NAS, I can't seem to get access to the NAS (I've tried using Putty).

How are you going about this?  What error message(s), if any, are you getting?

It should be as simple as using the default PuTTY SSH configuration with the NAS IP address, verifying that you know the device is the one you want (first time only), then entering user name root and the NAS admin password.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements