× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Correct procedure to replace single HDD (Only HDD) in ReadyNas 214

kncowans
Virtuoso

Correct procedure to replace single HDD (Only HDD) in ReadyNas 214

Hello all

I received my new ReadyNas 214 last week and whilst I am waiting for my WD Red 5TB HDD to arrive I inserted a single 1TB WD Black so that I could test the unit and make sure everything is working as it should, which it is.

My question is this, when I receive the WD Red 5TB how should I go about replacing the single HDD that is currently in the ReadyNas?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Kevin 

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Correct procedure to replace single HDD (Only HDD) in ReadyNas 214

Just power down, remove the test disk, and replace it with the unformatted WD50EFRX(s).  Then power up.  That should do a clean factory install (requiring you to set up the NAS again).  All data will be destroyed.

Normally hot swap is recommended, but you can't replace jbod disk that way, and your 1 TB disk was only intended for testing anyway.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Just power down, remove the test disk, and replace it with the unformatted WD50EFRX(s).  Then power up.  That should do a clean factory install (requiring you to set up the NAS again).  All data will be destroyed.

Normally hot swap is recommended, but you can't replace jbod disk that way, and your 1 TB disk was only intended for testing anyway.

Message 2 of 3
kncowans
Virtuoso

Hello

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated

Kevin

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements