× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupt Root error during factory default on NVX

LauraWerner
Aspirant

Corrupt Root error during factory default on NVX

I gave up on resurrecting the bad raid array on my trusty old NVX, and I'm trying to re-initialize the device with all new disks. (4x 3TB WD "red" drives from the HCL.) While going through the factory default process (http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how_do_i_use_the_boot_menu), I get a "Corrupt Root" error in RAIDar. The front panel says "ERR: Partition C LR Failed".

Does this mean one of my new disks is bad, or is it some kind of configuration issue I can fix"? I found some old forum posts saying that this error can occur when the disks have partitions on them, but they seem to say that a factory default is supposed to fix it. If so it shouldn't be the problem since I'm trying to do a factory default.

Thanks!

Laura
Message 1 of 8
Ki_Adi_Mundi
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Corrupt Root error during factory default on NVX

where are these disks from ? Seems there are partitions on them, and factory default failed to clear it, and what's the firmware version on you NVX now ?
Message 2 of 8
LauraWerner
Aspirant

They're brand new disks straight out of the box from newegg. It looks like I may have gotten a bad one. I tried taking the disks out of the unit one at a time and going through the factory default. With disk #4 removed -- of course it had to be the last one -- it's gotten a lot farther than it did before. It's created a volume and is partway through the initial raid sync. I'll have to call newegg in the morning and arrange for an exchange.

Laura
Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

So what version of RAIDiator is on the unit?

It should be shown on the home page of Frontview.
Message 4 of 8
LauraWerner
Aspirant

It's 4.2.24, which is the latest version as far as I can tell. I think this was just really bad luck: one out of my four new disks was DOA. One of those weeks...
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hopefully it is a bad disk and not a problem with a drive bay. Should become clear when you put a replacement disk in there drive bay.
Message 6 of 8
LauraWerner
Aspirant

Oh, good point. I didn't think of that. A bad bay is unlikely, since it's one that was working up until tonight -- the disk that died on me earlier in the week was in a different bay. But better safe than sorry. I've got a spare non-HCL 3T disk lying around that I can use to test out the drive bay. I wouldn't want to use it long-term, but it should be good enough for a test.

Can anyone think of a quick way to verify that the bay works other than just sticking in the disk and letting the system add it to the raid array? If there's no better way then I can just put in the spare disk and then swap in the WD 3T replacement disk after I return the bad one. I'd prefer to avoid that if I can though, since my most recent attempt to swap a bigger disk into the array was what led to this week's corruption.
Message 7 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You would need to add a 3TB or higher capacity disk. A smaller disk would be considered to small and rejected.

If you like hook the failed disk up to a PC and test it using WD LifeGuard Diagnostics. If the disk fails then that confirms a problem with the disk.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements