× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Corrupt root on both HDD

zintec
Aspirant

Corrupt root on both HDD

My ReadyNAS did not respond any more and I cannot reboot with the one or both HDD installed. RAIDar indicates "Corrupted root" (in German: "Beschädigtes Stammverzeichnis"). Anyway, when I use an old HDD (containing old data) in slot 1 (slot 2 empty) booting is successful and I have access to those old data, i.e. the rack seems to work properly (beside it obviously destroyed the roots of both redundant HDD).

Any suggestions? What can I do to recover my data on the HDDs?

Model: RND2110v1|READYNAS DUO v1|EOL
Message 1 of 20
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

Is there anything that might have triggered the problem (unexpected power loss, etc)?

Message 2 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Hi Stephen

There was no special event that triggered the failure. Some device (backup process?) may have written some data on the ReadyNAS.

I cannot recognize the firmware version as I cannot access the ReadyNAS any more and RAIDair does not indicate the firmware (blank). Anyway, I'm shure, the firmware is up to date. 

Message 3 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

... could start it again with the old disk. Firmware is 4.1.14

Best regards,

Peter

Message 4 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zintec,

Most probably disk/s inserted to the chassis have problems. Is this ReadyNAS Duo? Do you have backup of the data?

Regards,

Message 5 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Hi JennC

Agree, both disks seems to have problems. It is a ReadyNAS Duo V1. I have a backup, but I would prefer to use the orginal data on the disks (and to use the disks further more).

Regards,

Peter

Message 6 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zintec,

When you have corrupt root message, it will not let you boot up the NAS completely. It is either one of the disks have issues or both. In the past, I always end up doing the factory reset, it sometimes makes the boot up successfull but expect that the issue will appear again after few days. Since you have backup, I guesss you can try removing one of the disks and see if it boots up, if you get the same results, put the disk back in and remove the other then try again. While the disk is removed, check the disk with a diagnostic tool too.

Regards,

Message 7 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Thank you JennC for your suggestions. 

I tried every variation: inserting one disk only, the other one, in slot 1, and in slot 2, with and without re-installing firmware. Result is the same: boot hangs, corrupt root, "disk dead" status.

I did NOT the factory reset, because, according to the manual the ReadyNAS Duo V1 will wipe out any data on the disk.

I could boot with the old disk (containing old data) only, and when the system is up, insert one of the problem-disk. But I don't know what will happen then. Certainly, the ReadyNAS will start  to synchronize, but which disk will be overwrite the other?

Regards, Peter

Message 8 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@zintec wrote:

I could boot with the old disk (containing old data) only, and when the system is up, insert one of the problem-disk. But I don't know what will happen then. Certainly, the ReadyNAS will start  to synchronize, but which disk will be overwrite the other?

The newly inserted disk is sync'd to the one that is already installed.  Which is not what you want.

@zintec wrote:

I have a backup, but I would prefer to use the orginal data on the disks (and to use the disks further more).

Your easiest option is to do a factory reset on the NAS with both disks in place, and the restore the data from your backup.

You can also mount the data disk in your v1 in an x86 linux system, and see if the data volume is intact.  The data disk is usually disk 1.  (The other disk is mirrored, but the data volume section of the disk doesn't have an associated partition, so it can't be mounted).  There is a guide here: http://home.bott.ca/webserver/?p=306  R-linux for Windows might also work ( http://www.r-tt.com/free_linux_recovery/ )

Message 9 of 20
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello zintec,

Factory reset will format the disks so yes, it will delete the volume. That is reason we always recommend to always have full and updated backup of the data, anyway, storing important data in just one device is not really a good idea.

Disk 2 mirrors disk 1. I would go for the suggestion of StephenB.

Regards,

Message 10 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Thank you Stephen and Jenn

This "x86 linux system" stuff is beyond my skills and, as far as I understand, I do not have the necessary hardware (I have a MAC and an old Windows XP computer). I think I will go for the factory reset option. 

Just another idee and related question: As my V1 is quite old already, I suggest to buy a new ReadyNAS with 4 disk slots. What if - once the system is up and configured with new disks - I insert one of the problem disks (root corrupted) into that ReadyNAS, say in slot #3 or #4. Is there a chance that I will have access to the data on this disk?

Best Regards, Peter

Message 11 of 20
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Newer models of ReadyNAS require special intervention from NETGEAR Support if you're coming from RAIDiator 4.1. If you do buy a new OS 6 chassis, you can purchase a data recovery conract and NETGEAR Support can help you migrate your content from one ReadyNAS to another, if the data is salvagable. 

Message 12 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Hi, community,

I could do with your help again.

Since my last post I did the following:

- Boot ReadyNAS w/o factory reset with my old disk in bay #2, bay #1 empty. (The only variation that worked without error messages.)

- Restore my data from external backup

- Insert the "corrupt boot" disk #1 in bay #1. ReadyNAS accepted the disk and sychronized disk #1 successfully.

Everything was okay and I started the backup jobs again. 

Then after some hours, the same error happend again:

ReadyNAS stopped, system hangs. No access. RAIDar could not find the NAS. Cannot switch off the NAS. 

(One backup job was running when the error occured. Squeezebox radio was also connected to the NAS but in standby mode, i.e. no streaming in progress.)

Restart the NAS after power off/on results in (RAIDar status messages):

- "Power up the system..."

- "Checking file system" (up to 100%)

The system is now up again and started synchronizing (still in progress for the next 3-4 hours). Status of both disks is ok.

The protocol contains the following messages (during/after reboot):

- Volume scan found and corrected errors.
- RAID sync started on volume C.
- Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2: … (This is the old disk that I exchanged last year because of this warnings. In my opinion not the cause of the error, bacause it happend before with 2 disks inserted without such sector faults.)
- A previous run of backup job is still running. … (The job is actually not running any more)
- System is up.

I'm afraid that it will happen again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, 

Peter

Message 13 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@zintec wrote:

- Reallocated sector count has increased in the last day. Disk 2:

What is the count?

Resyncs can happen for more than one reason, and it is possible that the cause this time isn't the same as what you had before.

That said, it sounds like it might be time for a new NAS (with new disks).

Message 14 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Yes, I know. The count is already 1057. That's why I replaced this disk last year. But it was the only one that (as an intermediate solution) allowed me to boot the NAS. I will replace it as soon as possible. But the synch starts automatically after reboot of the NAS , and I see no way to stop it. Or can I remove the diks, during synch?

Message 15 of 20
StephenB
Guru

At this point you should wait for the sync to finish.

Later on you could remove a disk, but you'd want to certain of the trigger so you'd remove the right one.

Message 16 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

Ok, thanks.

Would you recommend to shut down the system (when snych finished) to replace the diks?

Message 17 of 20
StephenB
Guru

If you are wanting to do a fresh install, then you'd insert blank (unformatted) disks in the NAS and power it up.

Otherwise, I like to replace disks with the NAS running - then the NAS software detects the removal and insertion.  But it should also work if the NAS is powered down. Note if the disk is used, then the the power-down method risks another corrupt root message.  The hot-insert avoids that.

Message 18 of 20
zintec
Aspirant

When snyc finished I replaced the old disk (in bay 2) by the orginal disk that was installed in bay 2 before the first error occured. ReadyNAS initialized the disk and synchroniozed successfully. The system worked fine again.

After a few hours, access to the NAS was very slow (but no errror messages). Finally the NAS stopped working (system hangs) again, and reboot was not possible. 

I removed disk #2. Reboot with disk 1 (bay 2 empty) was successful. When the system was up, I get (for the first time) the error message: Disk fail event occurred on SATA channel 2.

After 3 days, the NAS is still runnining (with disk 1 only).

I supposed the cause was a (intermittent) defective disk in bay 2. In my opion, the poor behavior of ReadyNAS is that a defective disk blockes the whole system, reboot is not possible, and consequently status and error messages are not accessible. "Try and error debugging" with different disks only helped to recover the ReadyNAS. Thanks to the cummunity for the related clues.

Best regards, Peter

Message 19 of 20
StephenB
Guru

@zintec wrote:

In my opion, the poor behavior of ReadyNAS is that a defective disk blockes the whole system,

Normally that doesn't happen, but it will sometimes (depending on how the disk fails I guess).

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements