× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Crash/Hang 6.2.2

rjwerth1
Aspirant

Crash/Hang 6.2.2

When I woke up this morning, I found my 516 somewhat locked up. It was finishing an NFS backup but the backup failed about 3/4 the way through transferring all my media from my older server. I could not access the unit through Frontview but the display and buttons on the server were working. The system would not shut down gracefully so brute force was necessary. After a reboot everything seems OK, but now I'm a bit nervous. I'm not used to my ReadyNAS's locking up and this is my first with OS6.
Message 1 of 9
Nhellie
Virtuoso

Re: Crash/Hang 6.2.2

Did you install/uninstall any apps prior to this happening?
Message 2 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you send me your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my signature)?

Which share were you copying data to on your 516?
Message 3 of 9
rjwerth1
Aspirant

Logs sent. No apps have been added yet. Everything is pretty fresh.
Message 4 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You could try lowering the NFS thread count to 1 and see if it still crashes.

Also perhaps try with a new share (never used before) with bitrot protection and snapshots disabled.

If it is pretty fresh you may wish to backup data primarily stored on the NAS, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and start again. This would give you a clean setup on the firmware you are currently running. We have added some filesystem improvements since the 6.0.8 firmware your system shipped with.
Message 5 of 9
rjwerth1
Aspirant

Yikes, you mean when it updated to 6.2.2 first thing, it did not implement these file system improvements right off the top? I literally plugged it in with 4 new 4T drives and right off the bat it told me to update and I did before anything else.

The server is pretty fresh, but I've already had it working over 24 hours now transferring off my old server and moving the data around to the shares. I'd hate to start from scratch unless it is something I'll regret in a year...
Message 6 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Some filesystem improvements require creating a new volume. These improvements are optional, you don't have to have them.

When a factory reset or initial install is done the volume is created before updating the firmware.

You could try first my suggestion of lowering the NFS thread count and creating a new (empty) share with snapshots and bitrot protection disabled then running your NFS backup to that.

With a high NFS thread count you can get a lot of fragmentation and lockups.
Message 7 of 9
rjwerth1
Aspirant

Thanks. I moved on by switching to rsync so I didn't have to figure out what had been copied and what hadn't, but thought I'd report the crash/hang/bug in case it was something that you'd want to know about.

Now I just have to get the thought of whatever optional improvements were implemented out of my head....I really would rather not bounce all this data back and forth again...it gets a bit disruptive to my real job.

Thanks again!
Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

We changed the nodesize and leafsize to larger values as we found this can help in some cases. These are set when creating a volume and can't be changed.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements