× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

tony359
Apprentice

Ok

Change of port number is mentioned in the guide though, just before the ui.info step.

I'm just wondering if there is anything missing from the list.

Message 276 of 307
dereky42
Aspirant

Hi Tony. I only recently saw your update on how to install 4.3.0 on page 23 of this thread. Wish I would have seen the post before banging my head against this for a few hours last night! I wonder if it would be worth having the info in a new thread because google search leads to the first message in this very long thread, and it's not easy to find the updated info on page 23.

Anyhow, you had some green questions on your post. This is what I found while working through the steps (for Crashplan 4.4.1):

I had to install java separately following the instructions on minimserver.com. If I let crashplan install java on its own, crashplan wouldn't start. I had Java-related errors in /usr/local/crashplan/log/engine_error.log

This is the Java version I ended up installing last night.

java version "1.8.0_65"
Java(TM) SE Embedded Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_65-b17, headless)
Java HotSpot(TM) Embedded Client VM (build 25.65-b01, mixed mode)

During crashplan installation:
option 4, I pointed to some folder in the main drive e.g. /c/crash-backup (because filling up the OS partition causes problems)

After installation, I changed the Java path in /usr/local/crashplan/installs.vars from JAVACOMMON=/usr/local/crashplan/jre/bin/java to JAVACOMMON=/usr/local/bin/java

Hope that helps.

Message 277 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Hi Derek,

I agree that "page 24" is not the best place where to find a detailed guide. StephenB, your advice please?

Java: I had the same issue when I installed version 4.2. I ended up installing my own Java but then it was pointed out that it was not needed. I reckon it's just a matter of telling Linux/CrashPlan where to find the Java installed by the installer, so we don't have to install a separate one. Can someone advise on this too? Now my system is fully up and running and I'm a little hesitant to play with it.

Thanks for the other feedbacks, I'll have a look and update the guide accordingly! 🙂

Message 278 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

(time for editing expired)

Ok, weird thing happened today. My CP GUI wouldn't connect anymore. After a while I found the ui.info had somehow reset. And on Windows 10 (I guess Windows 8 is the same) Filezilla will refuse to save under ProgramData and very little warning is given - I'll put a note (ops, which I can't do anymore! StephenB, any chance you could allow me to manage that post with no time limitations please?)

Anyway the new Java link works, thanks.

Message 279 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Maybe you can start a new thread, and I can block replies?

On Java I think the history might make a difference.  If Java was installed manually initially, then Crashplan makes it your responsibility.  If you do a clean install on the current version, Crashplan installs Java. 

Message 280 of 307
StephenB
Guru

@tony359 wrote:

StephenB, any chance you could allow me to manage that post with no time limitations please?)

Regrettably I can't.  Can you copy/paste it to a new thread?

Message 281 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

I see, that may explain.

Can I just start a new thread anytime? Will I be able to edit that post over time?

THanks for your help.

Message 282 of 307
dereky42
Aspirant

On Java I think the history might make a difference.  If Java was installed manually initially, then Crashplan makes it your responsibility.  If you do a clean install on the current version, Crashplan installs Java. 

Ah, that would make sense. I had java 6 installed before installing Crashplan. So maybe the notes should mention this caveat. Thanks!

Message 283 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

I've got a problem!

It seems Crashplan updated to 4.5 and now it's not doing anything. I've got a notification from Crashplan saying the server hasn't been in touch for 15 days.

I've reconnected and I can connect, it's up and running, but it's "waiting for backup".

History only shows the service starting every day and nothing more.

Running the usual commands shows the service is running and ports are ok. But it's not doing anything.

Ideas?

Edit: ARGHHHH!!!!!

http://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Troubleshooting/Linux_CrashPlan_App_Version_4.5_Cannot_Back_Up

Wait: my kernel is 2.6.37.6.RNx86_64.2.4, it should work?

Now what? OS6?

Message 284 of 307
StephenB
Guru

You need to update glibc.  https://community.netgear.com/t5/Backing-up-to-your-ReadyNAS/Crashplan-JRE-update-needed/m-p/1013370... points to a free add on to do that on 6.2.x ReadyNAS

Message 285 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Hi everybody

I had to reinstall CrashPlan on my NAS and honestly I cannot connect to it anymore. A few things have changed since the original step by step guide - I believe putty tunnel is not needed anymore - and I am a little stuck.

I have uninstalled and reinstalled CP.

Copied the token on my ui.info file

What's next? What needs and does not need to do with version 4.6?  Thanks!

Tony

Message 286 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Have you tried the putty tunnel?  It is stil working for me.

It is helpful to make C:\ProgramData\CrashPlan\.ui_info read-only - otherwise the PC Crashplan UI tends to re-write the token when it starts up.

Message 287 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Hi Stephen,

Yes, I managed to have it working again via putty but it was working without before. And I can't remember what I did to have that working.

It would be a good time to create the new step by step guide 🙂

Message 288 of 307
StephenB
Guru

I think the basic trick you are looking for is described here: https://www.liquidstate.net/how-to-manage-your-crashplan-server-remotely/

Adding serviceHost=nasipaddress in ui.properties on the pc, and changing the servicehost from 127.0.0.1 to 0.0.0.0 on the NAS

@tony359 wrote:

It would be a good time to create the new step by step guide 🙂

I agree but if I took it on I'd needed to do a fresh install to check it - not something I'm prepared to do 🙂

Message 289 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

No worries, I've just freshly reinstalled mine! 🙂

Thanks

Message 290 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Somehow it did not work for me. The fact that the token was changed every time did not help and after wasting tons of time over the past few days I'm giving up now! It works with putty, happy days.

Why not making it simpler!!

Message 291 of 307
StephenB
Guru

I'm ok with using putty myself.  The first thing I do is tail the backup_file and history log, and I don't even launch the gui unless something looks off there..

Message 292 of 307
JeremyP1
Aspirant

What you probably did was edit <install dir>/conf/my.service.xml and change the serviceHost line to

<serviceHost>0.0.0.0</serviceHost>

so that it listens for the UI on all ports. You still need to edit the .ui_info on the PC file to point to it as per the headless instructions and use the actual ip of the ReadyNAS instead of the localhost.

4243,00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000,192.168.1.x
<port>,<          Token          >,<IP of ReadyNAS>

Adding serviceHost=nasipaddress as suggested isn't going to work (not on 4.6 anyway) as somewhere down the line there was a change in the format for the config file that handles this.

Has everyone here used WhoCares_'s (Stephan's) glibc addon to get this working? Has anyone run into a bunch of apt-get dependency problems from it? I tried his addon twice and it essentially prevents apt-get from being used because of dependency issues. As of now, I got CrashPlan running with the EJRE installer and a patch for the inotify_init1 error. This lets me stay on the older glibc and keep my apt-get working. As well as allow me to install and compile various things I needed running on the NAS.

inotify_init1() was added in Linux 2.6.27; library support was added to glibc in version 2.9. WhoCares_'s addon installs version 2.13. I wonder if installing an older version with support for inotify_init1 would keep things working. I may give this a shot after a much needed break from dealing with this and after making a backup of the OS partition.

Message 293 of 307
StephenB
Guru

@JeremyP1 wrote:

Has everyone here used WhoCares_'s (Stephan's) glibc addon to get this working?

I installed it some time ago, and had no problems with NAS operation or crashplan since.  But I normally don't use apt-get so I wouldn't run into the dependancy issues. Perhaps @WhoCares_ will comment.

CrashPlan upgrades now install Java - I was running 1.8 from ejre, but it decided to install 1.7 as well..

Message 294 of 307
jplee3
Apprentice

Has anyone had issues with Crashplan auto-upgrading and completely botching their installation on the Readnas? This has happened to me twice now. I go through the setup and workarounds to get CP up and running and it works really well up until the point that CP pushes an automatic update. It's getting old really fast, and I don't think there's a way to disable auto-updates. Seems CP updates don't like what was done as far as manually changing libjna files and also using the native JRE 1.7 that I installed with apt... what ends up happening is that the update "half-completes" and leaves CP in a broken state where the /usr/local/crashplan/lib directory is completely wiped out... anyone else notice this and have a workaround?

Message 295 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Hi

I haven't touched mine for a long while now. I receive notifications from CP every week so it's working.

Maybe it's better if you leave the installer using its own Java. I cannot remember whether the guide is mentioning that but when I first started looking into that it seemed that Java had to be manually installed - but the setup is copying its own version instead.

Have a look if you can remove the global Java - unless you need it - and maybe that would work when it updates. Also, can you find any logs that tell you what happened?

Message 296 of 307
jplee3
Apprentice

It seems a lot of stuff was wiped out, and not much info in the logs as to what exactly happened... or maybe I just don't know how to interpret them 🙂

I'll have to investigate some of those things - not as familiar with Java setups in Linux and am a bit rusty since I've been away from Linux in general for a while now and only dabble in it. I'll review the steps in OP's post, as the steps I did to setup CP were probably a bit different. 

EDIT: here's the log (partial):

TARGETDIR=/usr/local/crashplan
BINSDIR=/usr/local/bin
MANIFESTDIR=/usr/local/var/crashplan
INITDIR=/etc/init.d
RUNLVLDIR=/etc/rc5.d
INSTALLDATE=20160528
APP_BASENAME=CrashPlan
DIR_BASENAME=crashplan
JRE_X64_DOWNLOAD_URL=http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-x64.tgz
JRE_I586_DOWNLOAD_URL=http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz

JAVACOMMON=/usr/bin/java
Sourcing ../../install.vars...
Found INITDIR=/etc/init.d...
Current CrashPlan Backup Engine:
root 1784 1 9 Jun28 ? 1-06:31:02 /usr/bin/java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx1024m -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -Dc42.native.md5.enabled=false -classpath /usr/local/crashplan/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:/usr/local/crashplan/lang com.backup42.service.CPService
Stopping using /etc/init.d/crashplan...
Stopping CrashPlan Engine ... OK
Ensuring the UpgradeUI is not running.
UpgradeUI is shut down.
JAVACOMMON is set: /usr/bin/java
Current Java Version: 1.7
The Current java is not compatible. Embedding a compatible version.
Download JVM from http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz
downloading the JRE using /usr/bin/wget

converted 'http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (ANSI_X3.4-1968) -> 'http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (UTF-8)
--2016-07-11 11:58:21-- http://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz
Resolving download.code42.com (download.code42.com)... 216.17.8.19
Connecting to download.code42.com (download.code42.com)|216.17.8.19|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz [following]
converted 'https://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (ANSI_X3.4-1968) -> 'https://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (UTF-8)
--2016-07-11 11:58:21-- https://download.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz
Connecting to download.code42.com (download.code42.com)|216.17.8.19|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 301 Moved Permanently
Location: https://download2.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz [following]
converted 'https://download2.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (ANSI_X3.4-1968) -> 'https://download2.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz' (UTF-8)
--2016-07-11 11:58:23-- https://download2.code42.com/installs/proserver/jre/jre-7-linux-i586.tgz
Resolving download2.code42.com (download2.code42.com)... 216.17.8.57
Connecting to download2.code42.com (download2.code42.com)|216.17.8.57|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 48547492 (46M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: 'jre-7-linux-i586.tgz'

Java Installed.
Unpacking remaining upgrade files
currentDir=/usr/local/crashplan/upgrade/1435813200470_344.1468263488565
upgrade.sh: line 214: cpio: command not found
Removing existing app files...
Adding updated files...
32 bit version detected, using 32 bit electron.
Replacing CrashPlanDesktop
`scripts/CrashPlanDesktop' -> `../../bin/CrashPlanDesktop'
Replacing CrashPlanEngine
`scripts/CrashPlanEngine' -> `../../bin/CrashPlanEngine'
Replacing run.conf
`scripts/run.conf' -> `../../bin/run.conf'
Replacing root app launcher file...
Replacing /usr/share/applications/crashplan.desktop with scripts/CrashPlan.desktop AS /usr/share/applications/crashplan.desktop...
removed `/usr/share/applications/crashplan.desktop'
`scripts/CrashPlan.desktop' -> `/usr/share/applications/crashplan.desktop'
Finished removing user launcher files...
Restarting Service
Could not find JAR file /usr/local/crashplan/bin/../lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar
Service Restart Complete

Message 297 of 307
StephenB
Guru

@jplee3 wrote:

Has anyone had issues with Crashplan auto-upgrading and completely botching their installation on the Readnas? 

I had issues last summer, but nothing recent.  What NAS do you have and what firmware is it running?

Message 298 of 307
jplee3
Apprentice

Stephen, I'm running on the RN204 on 6.5.1... maybe the way I installed it is not right. But since it's an ARM processor, I think I have to do some hackey workarounds to get it working - like apt installing various packages and replacing the libjna.jar file in /usr/local/crashplan/lib - I don't think the CP upgrade process/script likes this and ends up botching the installation during the auto-upgrade process. Wish there were a way to turn off auto-upgrade so I can do it myself.

Message 299 of 307
tony359
Apprentice

Crashplan has honestly drained all my patience!! I need a little help.

Today I rebooted my RN - it had been uploading a large backup over the past 15 days. When back, I cannot connect to CrashPlan engine again. It may be me forgetting something basic.

- The service is working, in fact it completed the backup. No errors on engine_error.log

- The token had changed, so I amended.

this is my remote file, on the RN

4243,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,192.168.0.10 (obviously, I have removed the token 🙂 )

This is my local file on my PC

4200,xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,127.0.0.1

I create a tunnel using Putty. The settings are saved so I just recall them every time.

L4200  --  localhost:4243

WHAT am I forgetting this time! Where is the emoticon banging its head on the wall!

Thanks for your help as usual!

Tony

Message 300 of 307
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements