× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

bishoptf
Aspirant

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

I have just went through this and have seen several folks post that they wish there was an all inclusive guide, I just bought a Pro 2 and so far I am pleased with what I see under the hood (looks like debian to me, kernel 2.6.37) I'm a *nix guy so I thought I would try to make an all inclusive step-by-step to help anyone that might want to try and install crashplan. So here goes, the normal warning goes here - There are no warranties implied or otherwise, DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK! If you find any thing that needs to be updated or doesn't make sense please post and let me know...

I am not the only one to post how to do this see here - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18139&start=15#p297737

and here http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/configure_a_headless_client

Steps for x86 ReadyNas Only:

Old way,still works but uses java 6, which is out of date:

1. See Step one below

2. See Step two below

3. See Step three below

4. Once logged onto your readynas as "root" your ready to get the the software setup. Keep in mind that when you are running as root, you have elevated priviliges and you can do anything you want, including messing things up, so go slow and take your time 🙂
- First thing we need to do is edit the sources.list, we are going to use vi which is not a friendly editor
but is installed on any base *nix system and in this case will get the job done. Lets edit the file, at
the prompt - vi /etc/apt/sources.list, arrow down to the last line and then arrow over to the
last letter and hit the "a" button for append and then hit "enter" to get a new line and then paste
"deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-backports etch-backports main non-free" .

- To get out of vi and save the file "shift:" will get you the colon prompt at the bottom, then to save
and exit enter "x", if you made a mistake and you do not want to save your work at the colon enter "q!"
and that will quit without saving any changes. Once you exit and save your sources list should look
like this, "more /etc/apt/sources.list" -

deb http://www.readynas.com/packages 4.2.19/

deb http://archive.debian.org/debian etch main
deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-backports etch-backports main non-free

5. Now we need to update our package list and install Java.

- enter "apt-get update"

- Now we need to modify configuration dialog selection so we can accept the java Terms and conditions.

- enter "dpkg-reconfigure debconf"

This will ask you to select a dialong frontend, select option 1 - Dialog, then it will ask you for
the level, select option 3 - Medium.

- Now lets install java, enter "apt-get install sun-java6-jre", it will download the package and start to
install it where it will ask for you to accept the terms and conditions, select yes and complete the
installation.

- Modify the deb configuration and change it back, enter "dpkg-reconfigure debconf"

This will ask you to select a dialong frontend, select option 6 - Noninteractive, then it will
ask you for the level, select option 3 - Medium (not sure if this was the default).

Updated JAVA install, credit goes to InterClaw 🙂

The full instructions can be found here - http://minimserver.com/ejre-installer.html I will try to list just the steps for x86 ReadyNas:

1. Go to Oracle and down load the latest embeeded java version l@@k for this version - x86 Linux Small Footprint – Headless - http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/embedded/downloads/javase/index.html
*Note you will have to accept Oracles Terms and Conditions and create an account to download the file

2. Download file and copy the java file to /c/backup/ on your ReadyNas

3. Download the EJRE Readynas Addon see the link above for the full instructions, the addon can be found here - http://minimserver.com/downloads/EJREInstaller-0.10-readynas-x86.bin

4. Install EJRE Addon and this will install the java version that you placed in /c/backup/

5. Verify that java is working, time to jump to the command line to finish the installation. Install the Enable Root SSH addon - http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/EnableRootSSH_1.0-x86.bin Complete installation by rebooting your readynas.

6. You will need to get a ssh client for your desktop/laptop, here is one for winblows (putty) - http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/latest/x86/putty.exe, nothing to install, just download and place on your desktop or somewhere you can find it.

7. Open putty and SSH into your readynas, enter the IP address and when it prompts for username enter "root" and then your normal raidar/frontpage "password". Once logged in verify java operation by entering the following :

java -version

8. Now we can install Crashplan.

- Download the latest linux crashplan version

enter "wget the latest version that is listed on crashplan for linux, see below"
Here is the main download page, just make sure you get the latest version -
http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/download.html?os=Linux, this will download andplace this in your
root directory.

9. Once the diownload has completed lets extract the files which are tarred and zipped.

enter "tar -xvf CrashPlan_3.0.3_Linux.tgz" or whichever version you downloaded, this will extract all of the files
and place them in a folder called "CrashPlan-install".

enter "cd "CrashPlan-install" and then run the installer, enter "./install.sh", this will start the installer
ask for you to accept the terms and conditions and ask questions where to install etc..You can accept the defaults
for most, however when it prompts you for the default crashplan backup directory, you can go with the default or
provide a directory that you have already established for that purpose, e.g., "/crash-backup" whatever your share
that you created without any slashes, this actual is a pointer to "crash-backup -> /c/crashplan-backup"

Here are the questions, most you accept the defaults, in this case I chose to specify a different Directory -

Do you accept and agree to be bound by the EULA? (yes/no) yes

What directory do you wish to install CrashPlan to? [/usr/local/crashplan]

What directory do you wish to link the CrashPlan executable to? [/usr/local/bin]

What directory do you wish to store backups in? [/usr/local/var/crashplan] /crash-backup

What directory contains your SYSV init scripts? [/etc/init.d]

What directory contains your runlevel init links? [/etc/rc2.d]

Your selections:
CrashPlan will install to: /usr/local/crashplan
And put links to binaries in: /usr/local/bin
And store datas in: /crash-backup
Your init.d dir is: /etc/init.d
Your current runlevel directory is: /etc/rc2.d

Is this correct? (y/n) [y] y

10. Configure crashplan on the readynas, in order to do this you need to download and install crashplan on a local PC,
using linux, winblows or Mac - http://www.crashplan.com/consumer/download.html once that has been
done we need to tunnel from the PC to the readynas, the already have this detailed on the crashplan site
called a headless install - http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/configure_a_headless_client

*Note while configuring the Crashplan client -the client will show your shares twice - as links (with an arrow as part of the icon)
and under the "C" folder. It won't back up the links, you need to select the folders under the "C" folder. If you try the other way, the
backup "succeeds", but doesn't back anything up. Thanks to StephenB for this update!

Once the configuration is complete you should be good to go.. 🙂

I'm sure I have left something out or not fully explained something, if so let me knoiw and I will update the posting..

Good Luck 🙂
Message 1 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Very helpful! 😄 I was able to get this running fairly quickly thanks to your detailed step by step.

One detail (post install) - the Crashplan client will show your shares twice - as links (with an arrow as part of the icon) and under the "C" folder. It won't back up the links, you need to select the folders under the "C" folder. If you try the other way, the backup "succeeds", but doesn't back anything up.
Message 2 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Very helpful! 😄 I was able to get this running fairly quickly thanks to your detailed step by step.

One detail (post install) - the Crashplan client will show your shares twice - as links (with an arrow as part of the icon) and under the "C" folder. It won't back up the links, you need to select the folders under the "C" folder. If you try the other way, the backup "succeeds", but doesn't back anything up.

Updated my post....glad it helped, most of the content was scattered about and I just thought I would throw it together and add some more detail for non *nix folks to make it easier, since the crashplan client seems to be pretty slick 🙂
Message 3 of 307
demusss1
Aspirant

Thanks for the detailed guide.

By installing Crashplan on the ReadyNAS using your guide, what does it give you?

Does it backup files on the NAS to Crashplans servers? Or enable to backup files from local PCs and friends to the NAS?

Thanks
Anthony
Message 4 of 307
sphardy1
Apprentice

demusss wrote:

Does it backup files on the NAS to Crashplans servers? Or enable to backup files from local PCs and friends to the NAS?

Both
Message 5 of 307
RedDeath
Aspirant

Great guide!!!

Thank you very much for this!
Message 6 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

RedDeath wrote:
Great guide!!!

Thank you very much for this!

No problem, I know most folks are not linux types, I am and I just wanted to make it easier for folks to follow....most of the information was out there but not in a ture step-by-step, so I took a stab...:)
Message 7 of 307
gibxxi
Guide

No offence to the OP, but this is screaming out for someone to make it into a Frontview AddOn for those who don't have / don't want to install RootSSH or who are terminally *nix ingnorant, great guide though bishoptf, thankyou.

🙂
Message 8 of 307
ryanrk
Apprentice

Yes, I would second an addon!
Message 9 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

If I had the time I would gladly chip in and help but right now I have to much on my plate. I will say this,though come next fall, I know thats a long time out, but if no one has done it I will take a stab and see what it takes to make a community addon...
Message 10 of 307
blimeyfool
Aspirant

Thank you so much for the detailed info! Is there any chance this would work on a v1 (Sparc) NV+ ?
Message 11 of 307
sphardy1
Apprentice

No due to lack of Java support on the v1 units
Message 12 of 307
blimeyfool
Aspirant

Thanks! Not the answer I wanted, but I appreciate the fast reply.
Message 13 of 307
depasseg
Aspirant

Great writeup. I added a couple things - like installing Nano rather than using vi and also including instructions to configure the headless monitoring:

* Install RootSSH Add-on
* Reboot
* SSH as root
* run: Apt-get update
* run: apt-get install nano (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=42794)
* echo deb http://archive.debian.org/debian-backports etch-backports main non-free >> /etc/apt/sources.list
* (additional info comes from: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=18139&hilit=CrashPlan&start=30)

* run: apt-get update
* run: dpkg-reconfigure debconf and select the "Dialog" option (1) and "Medium" prompt level (3) This is necessary so that the sun JRE license agreement can be displayed and accepted
* run: apt-get install sun-java6-jre
* run: dpkg-reconfigure debconf and select the "Dialog" option (1) and "Noninteractive" and "High" prompt level (3)
* run: wget http://download.crashplan.com/installs/ ... _Linux.tgz
* run: tar -xvf CrashPlan_3.2.1_Linux.tgz
* run: cd CrashPlan-install
* run: ./install.sh

* Choose the following settings:

Do you accept and agree to be bound by the EULA? (yes/no) yes

What directory do you wish to install CrashPlan to? [/usr/local/crashplan]
/usr/local/crashplan does not exist. Create /usr/local/crashplan? (y/n) [y]

What directory do you wish to link the CrashPlan executable to? [/usr/local/bin]

What directory do you wish to store backups in? [/usr/local/var/crashplan] /c/backup/crashplan-local

What directory contains your SYSV init scripts? [/etc/init.d]

What directory contains your runlevel init links? [/etc/rc2.d]

Your selections:
CrashPlan will install to: /usr/local/crashplan
And put links to binaries in: /usr/local/bin
And store datas in: /c/backup/crashplan-local
Your init.d dir is: /etc/init.d
Your current runlevel directory is: /etc/rc2.d

Is this correct? (y/n) [y] y

Unpacking /./CrashPlan_3.2.1.cpi ...
37915 blocks
Starting CrashPlan Engine ... Using standard startup
OK

CrashPlan has been installed and the Service has been started automatically.

Press Enter to complete installation.

* run: nano /usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml
* On the line that says ServiceHost. Replace 127.0.0.1 with IP of the NAS (the one from your LAN like 192.168.1.100) and then save the file and exit nano
* run: /usr/local/crashplan/bin/CrashPlanEngine restart
* On your computer (the one you want to control your NAS backups from), look for a file called ui.properties in c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf
* Edit the file and uncomment (delete the #) the serviceHost line and replace 127.0.0.1 with the IP of your NAS (for instance 192.168.1.100).
* Start Crashplan client on your computer and login
* In Crashplan, go to Destinations and click select. Choose "backup/crashplan/crashplan-local"
* Go to Settings -> "Inbound from other computers" and click Configure
* Note Backup code to use for friends and other computers
* Change "Default backup archive location" to /c/backup/crashplan-inbound (note this folder must be created ahead of time)
* Remove WAN speed throttling
* Enable Backup Sets
* Create a System Files Set (to crashplan central and crashplan-local (folder)) and a Media Set (for /c/media)

Additional helpful links:
* http://linuxhints.blogspot.com/2011/02/ ... dless.html
* http://innerfusion.tumblr.com/post/6168 ... in-7-steps
Message 14 of 307
depasseg
Aspirant

I also ran into an issue with the target ReadyNas listed gray circle and a "Unable to backup - No Connection for x.x days" message. Here's the solution.

I increase the limit by running ulimit -n 8192 and then /etc/init.d/crashplan restart manually whenever I run into the gray circle issue. I've tried following the steps below to make it permanent, but haven't been successful.

I found out it was because the limit for open files was too small on the readynas. Here's the instructions from CrashPlan support:
Hello Greg.

I have reviewed your logs and I have a few questions about the hardware that CrashPlan is running on. They appear to be NAS devices themselves, they are running a Netgear Linux Kernel for ReadyNAS. Running CrashPlan directly on a NAS device is an unsupported configuration and I would not be able to assist in troubleshooting anything caused by running CrashPlan in an unsupported way. However, I can tell you that the set of logs from the machine named "NAS-Home-2" indicate that there are too many open files.

Every operating system imposes a limit on the number of "files" a process may have open at any one time. More accurately, the OS imposes a limit on the number of file descriptors a process may have open at any one time, but for our purposes the difference isn't significant. CrashPlan will occasionally bump up against these limits; it's not common by any means but we do see it sometimes for very large archives (i.e. archives with lots of files).

Linux defines both a system-wide and a per-process limit on the number of open files a process can open. It's best to always begin with the per-process limit for two reasons:

Changing this value instead of the system-wide value minimizes the impact on the rest of the system
It's likely to be the lesser value anyway

You can use the "ulimit" command (actually a shell builtin on most platforms now) to get the limit for this process on the number of open files:

ulimit -n

This value can be set using a variation on the above command:

ulimit -n 4096

On rare occasions you may find yourself increasing this limit to a value that exceeds the system-wide limits. When this occurs the only option available is to modify the system-wide values. This should be a fairly rare occurence but if it does come up the following commands should prove helpful.

You can view the current system-wide limit using the proc file system:

cat /proc/sys/fs/file-max

This value can be set for the current system by writing to the same file:

echo "4096" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max

Note that modifying the proc file system will not cause the change to be preserved across restarts. In order to make this change permanent you'll need to modify /etc/sysctl.conf.

Open /etc/sysctl.conf (you'll need to be root)
Edit (or add if not present) the "fs.file-max" parameter
Save the file and exit

Note that editing this file will not bring about a change in the running system. To do this you'll need to re-apply all the settings defined in /etc/systctl.conf (including the changes you just made). The following command will do it:

sysctl -p /etc/sysctl.conf

The above instructions are for a normal Linux distro and not a custom built one like the Netgear Linux distro but it should work for you.

Thanks.
Kevin
Message 15 of 307
avicenne13
Aspirant

Thank you for great walkthrough. It took me around 20 minutes to get it up and running.

I have only one concern/question. I started backing up 15 GB of data. My upload speed is around 3 Mbit. During the backup, something happens, which I could not identify yet, and my ReadyNAS becomes unresponsive. I need to go the the ReadyNAS, push and hold the power button for some time to have a forced shutdown. Is this a problem that any of you have had?

My device is ReadyNAS Ultra 2, connected to a 20 Mbit fiber internet connection.

Regards.
Message 16 of 307
StephenB
Guru

I have not seen that with the pro-6.
Message 17 of 307
sphardy1
Apprentice

nor my Ultra-4 or Duo-V2 - both have been highly reliable running Crashplan
Message 18 of 307
fbmachines
Guide

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

I haven't seen that in my Pro-6 with Crashplan running. However I did see that due to a RAIDiator bug. It has been corrected in 4.2.20.

What version RAIDiator are you running?
Message 19 of 307
depasseg
Aspirant

I have experienced similar hangups on both of Pro 6 units. But that was prior to the upgrade to 4.2.20. I suggest following fbmachines advice and upgrade.
Message 20 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

depasseg wrote:
I also ran into an issue with the target ReadyNas listed gray circle and a "Unable to backup - No Connection for x.x days" message. Here's the solution.

I increase the limit by running ulimit -n 8192 and then /etc/init.d/crashplan restart manually whenever I run into the gray circle issue. I've tried following the steps below to make it permanent, but haven't been successful.

Good updates, I cut my teeth on vi, but nano is probable easier for folks...Here are some suggestions for making that permanent, I don't have time atm to test them out but we should be able to make it work, the first is to make it like an addon:

Postby Skywalker » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:44 am
The best way is probably to treat it as an addon. You can simply add a line in /etc/frontview/addons/addons.conf for your program. Follow the syntax of the SlimServer and DAAP addons, which is:

Code: Select all
SERVICE_NAME!!Friendly_Name!!Version!!Startup_command!!Stop_command

After that, add a line in /etc/default/services with

SERVICE_NAME=1

So, for example, your a kissd service, it might be something like this:
In /etc/frontview/addons/addons.conf

KISSD!!KISS Streaming Service!!0.1!!start-stop-daemon -S -q -b -x /usr/local/bin/kissdx -- -c /ust/local/etc/kissdx.conf -d!!start-stop-daemon -K -n kissdx

and in /etc/default/services

KISSD=1

There is another option using the traditional rc.d methods, see this post for both methods - http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14549

I would try the above first, if you need some help shoot me a PM and I will try to take a look but I think the addon method above shoudl work, just need to create the files...post back with success etc... 🙂
Message 21 of 307
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Thanks depasseg for your excellent instructions.

On this bit...
depasseg wrote:
Great writeup. I added a couple things - like installing Nano rather than using vi and also including instructions to configure the headless monitoring:

* Install RootSSH Add-on
* Reboot
* SSH as root
* run: Apt-get update

...I had to use lower case "apt-get update"

depasseg wrote:

* On your computer (the one you want to control your NAS backups from), look for a file called ui.properties in c:\Program Files\CrashPlan\conf
* Edit the file and uncomment (delete the #) the serviceHost line and replace 127.0.0.1 with the IP of your NAS (for instance 192.168.1.100).

Just wondering how to make it work so that I can control 2 NASs on my lan? The easiest way is probably to install the desktop app on another pc with the IP of the 2nd NAS in the ui.properties file, but I'm just wondering if those familiar with crashplan know of a way to make it work from one PC?
Message 22 of 307
StephenB
Guru

kc1 wrote:
Just wondering how to make it work so that I can control 2 NASs on my lan? The easiest way is probably to install the desktop app on another pc with the IP of the 2nd NAS in the ui.properties file, but I'm just wondering if those familiar with crashplan know of a way to make it work from one PC?
Use bishoptf's original instructions (based on Crashplan's guide: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/h ... ess_client)

In short, leave the serviceHost line commented out in ui.properties and set servicePort to 4200 instead.

Then set up ssh profiles in putty for each NAS. Connect to the NAS you want to manage with Putty, then launch the crashplan client. When switching to the other NAS you exit the client, change the putty connection, and launch it again. (failing to exit the client is not fatal, it will error out).
Message 23 of 307
Retired_Member
Not applicable

StephenB wrote:
Use bishoptf's original instructions (based on Crashplan's guide: http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/h ... ess_client)
In short, leave the serviceHost line commented out in ui.properties and set servicePort to 4200 instead.

Thanks, I got stuck at this bit when I tried those:

http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/how_to/configure_a_headless_client wrote:
Open a terminal window on 1.1.1.1.
Using SSH, forward port 4200 on 1.1.1.1 to port 4243 on 2.2.2.2.
The command is:
ssh -L 4200:localhost:4243 yourusername@2.2.2.2
, because these commands are recognised by Windows (my desktop PC), and I don't know what the equivalent is.
Message 24 of 307
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Use a free program called PuTTy to SSH in.

Choose SSH and enter the host 2.2.2.2 (replace the 2.2.2.2 with the actual IP address of the device).

Then go to the menus on the side panel. One of the options there will allow you to do the tunnel configuration.

Source Port: 4200
Destination: localhost:4243
Then click Add (don't forget to do this step)

then connect.
Message 25 of 307
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements