× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

Thanks, I thought it worked but spoke too soon:

After setting up the tunnel in PuTTY, and logging in, CrashPlan doesn't connect, and telnet says:

NVX:~# telnet localhost 4200
telnet: can't connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused
Message 26 of 307
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Working after I remembered to set ServiceHost back to 127.0.0.1 in /usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml.

Thanks all
Message 27 of 307
skim32
Tutor

Can someone clarify something for me. Does this allow the readynas to directly backup to Crashplan without a computer running? Or do I still need a desktop running?
Message 28 of 307
sphardy1
Apprentice

No additional computer needed except to configure CP on the NAS. Data is then backed up from your NAS to the selected destination directly
Message 29 of 307
skim32
Tutor

sphardy wrote:
No additional computer needed except to configure CP on the NAS. Data is then backed up from your NAS to the selected destination directly

Great. Gonna give it a go tonight. Can anyone comment on how well the Readynas runs Crashplan? Does it take a lot of system resources? Is a RAM upgrade recommended? I have ReadyNas Ultra 4 Plus running stock.
Message 30 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

Hi all,

I just brought a readynas ultra 2 last week and have been trying even since to set up crashplan on it but it just does not work.

I believe i have installed crashplan on the nas via putty properly but cannot work out how to do the port forwarding.

I am getting the following message: telnet: can't connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused
and i have tried eveything but cannot seem to get the nas to show up on my crashplan desktop.

it would be great if someone out there could help me to set up crashplan on my nas pleaseee:D

i am not a linux user and this is my first time using putty and doing something like this.

hope to hear from someone soon 😄
Message 31 of 307
StephenB
Guru

On the putty setup, you want to create a profile with the basid options of port 22, the NAS IP address/name, and connection type SSH. You probably have this part correct already, otherwise you wouldn't have crashplan installed.

On the PC, you need to go into C:\Program Files (x86)\CrashPlan\conf, and edit ui.properties.

(a) temporarily rename it to a .txt extension (not a bad idea to archive a copy of the original file first!)
(b) open it with wordpad (not notepad).
(c) change the line that says "#servicePort=4243" to "servicePort=4200" Note the initial # is removed. All other lines should be left alone.
(d) save file and remove the .txt extension

First you connect to the NAS via putty and log in as root, then you launch the crashplan desktop on the PC. You need to keep the putty connection open while you are running the client.
Message 32 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

Thanks for the prompt response.

However im sorry to say that it still does not work, crashplan opens up as normal with the putty connection open but nothing is changed...cannot see my nas drive
Message 33 of 307
skim32
Tutor

Anyone know if I should stay on 4.2.19 or if upgrading to 4.2.21 is okay?
Message 34 of 307
fbmachines
Guide

skim32 wrote:
Anyone know if I should stay on 4.2.19 or if upgrading to 4.2.21 is okay?

I'm running 4.2.21 with CrashPlan without any issues.
Message 35 of 307
StephenB
Guru

f41yaz wrote:

However im sorry to say that it still does not work, crashplan opens up as normal with the putty connection open but nothing is changed...cannot see my nas drive

So you are seeing crashplan connect, and you are able to log into your account? I am not sure what you mean when you say you cannot see the NAS drive.
Message 36 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
f41yaz wrote:

So you are seeing crashplan connect, and you are able to log into your account? I am not sure what you mean when you say you cannot see the NAS drive.

I tried it again properly this time and unfortunatly I am unable to connect to crashplan. Its says "Unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?"

when i was talkin about the NAS drive i meant that i cannot back it up to the crashplan server as i cannot locate the NAS drive on the CP application.
Message 37 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Is this the guide you followed: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61152&hilit=crashplan#p342781
Message 38 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Is this the guide you followed: http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=61152&hilit=crashplan#p342781

yes thats the guide i followed.

How do i check that crashplan is correctly installed on my nas...also what is the command to completely remove crashplan for me to reinstall it again.

when i change the ui.properties file codes and than open putty and open crash plan...i get the error message that its unable to connect to the backup engine on CP.

thanks for your support
Message 39 of 307
StephenB
Guru

One thing to keep in mind that it is not enough to open putty - you need to log in as root into the NAS before you launch the client.

Begin by logging in to the NAS with putty.

First enter
ps aux | grep BaseName

You should get a long line that has /usr/bin/java in it, and also -Dapp=CrashPlanService

Assuming you see that, then enter
netstat -an | grep ':424.'

You should see
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4242 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 0 127.0.0.1:4243 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4242 yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:zzzzz ESTABLISHED

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the NAS, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the IP address of the PC. ZZZZZ is a port number (shows up as 60249 on my system, but probably varies).

BTW, did you install crashplan 3.0.3 (which was the current version when the guide was published) or version 3.2.1 (the current version).
Message 40 of 307
StephenB
Guru

One more thing to check -
in your putty configuration, look at connection->SSH->Tunnels

You should see L4200 localhost:4243 in the Forwarded Ports section.
Message 41 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
One thing to keep in mind that it is not enough to open putty - you need to log in as root into the NAS before you launch the client.

Begin by logging in to the NAS with putty.

First enter
ps aux | grep BaseName

You should get a long line that has /usr/bin/java in it, and also -Dapp=CrashPlanService

Assuming you see that, then enter
netstat -an | grep ':424.'

You should see
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:4242 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN
tcp 0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:4242 yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:zzzzz ESTABLISHED

xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address of the NAS, yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is the IP address of the PC. ZZZZZ is a port number (shows up as 60249 on my system, but probably varies).

BTW, did you install crashplan 3.0.3 (which was the current version when the guide was published) or version 3.2.1 (the current version).

I have factory reset the nas and am going to reinstall crashplan and do it all over again and see if it works this time.

which version shall i install, 3.03 or 3.2.1 ?
Message 42 of 307
StephenB
Guru

3.2.1, since I don't think you can download the 3.0.3 client anymore.
Message 43 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
3.2.1, since I don't think you can download the 3.0.3 client anymore.

I have reinstalled crashplan.

I closed the CP desktop app and opened putty with forwarded port L4200 localhost:4243. entered 'root' and password.

than reopened CP desktop app and its connects to CP but NOT via readynas machine box.....but as normal on the windows machine.

when i enter 'ps aux | grep BaseName' i get the following:

root 3085 1.8 3.6 688192 37300 ? SNl 20:24 0:17 /usr/bin/java -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Dapp=CrashPlanService -DappBaseName=CrashPlan -Xms20m -Xmx512m -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -Dsun.net.inetaddr.ttl=300 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.ttl=300 -Dsun.net.inetaddr.negative.ttl=0 -Dnetworkaddress.cache.negative.ttl=0 -classpath /usr/local/crashplan/lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar:/usr/local/crashplan/lang com.backup42.service.CPService
root 3513 0.0 0.0 3840 500 pts/0 S+ 20:40 0:00 grep BaseName

and when i enter 'netstat -an | grep ':424.'' i only get the following line:

Message 44 of 307
StephenB
Guru

The good news is that crashplan appears to be running on the NAS. Though I am not sure why you don't see the other netstat lines

Did you remember to edit ui.properties in C:\Program Files (x86)\CrashPlan\conf Line 3 needs to say "servicePort=4200" - with no #

Also, it could be worth rebooting the PC and the NAS.
Message 45 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
The good news is that crashplan appears to be running on the NAS. Though I am not sure why you don't see the other netstat lines

Did you remember to edit ui.properties in C:\Program Files (x86)\CrashPlan\conf Line 3 needs to say "servicePort=4200" - with no #

Also, it could be worth rebooting the PC and the NAS.

yes done both.

ui.properties file reads:

#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005#serviceHost=127.0.0.1servicePort=4200
#pollerPeriod=1000 # 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000 # 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=
Message 46 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Your copy/paste is not keeping the lines separate.

If ui.properties is configured correctly, when you launch crashplan without putty running you will see the splash screen for quite a while. Then you will see "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?" If you are not seeing that error, then we need to fix that before we move on.
Message 47 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
Your copy/paste is not keeping the lines separate.

If ui.properties is configured correctly, when you launch crashplan without putty running you will see the splash screen for quite a while. Then you will see "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?" If you are not seeing that error, then we need to fix that before we move on.

i just rebooted pc and ans again and its saying "unable to connect to the backup engine, retry?".

even with putty open in background
Message 48 of 307
f41yaz
Aspirant

ITS WORKING !!! :d:d

the ui.properties file was not correct, the spaces inserted inbetween made a difference.

thank you soo much for alll your support.

thank you
Message 49 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Great!
Message 50 of 307
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements