× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

shadow11
Aspirant

Re: Crashplan for Dummies, aka Step by Step :)

Is there a reason this isn't being made into an addon? Seems like a great candidate for a community addon.
Message 101 of 307
TomB1
Aspirant

I would pay for a crashplan add on.
Message 102 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Might be tricky to get permission to resell the crashplan client.
Message 103 of 307
chirpa
Luminary

Free add-on, donationware? 😉
Message 104 of 307
StephenB
Guru

chirpa wrote:
Free add-on, donationware? 😉

[quote="http://support.crashplan.com/doku.php/eula":2wkw135k]you specifically agree not to:
(ii) make error corrections to, or otherwise modify or adapt, the CrashPlan Software or any Code 42 Products and Services or to create derivative works based upon the CrashPlan Software or any Code 42 Products and Services, or permit third parties to do the same;
(vi) use the CrashPlan Software or Code 42 Products and Services to develop any software application or similar products and services... [/quote:2wkw135k]
I think these terms might prohibit even a freeware install wrapper w/o permission from Code 42 (the company behind crashplan.com).
Message 105 of 307
Squazz
Aspirant

Ok, so, I followed this guide all the way to the bottom. Everything worked like a charm, until the tunnellig appeared. Now I'm stuck, like, REALLY stuck 😕
I'm on a x64 Windows 7 Pro machine, and no mather what I do, I can't seem to get this SSH tunnel created. I followed the "official" guide, I have tried all three steps. And I constantly gets the error: "telnet: can't connect to remote host (127.0.0.1): Connection refused"

My NAS is a ReadyNas Pro 4

What can I be doing wrong. Anyone having an idea on what I could be doing wrong?
Message 106 of 307
StephenB
Guru

If you are trying to do the telnet confirmation, just skip that step and move on to putty.
Message 107 of 307
Squazz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
If you are trying to do the telnet confirmation, just skip that step and move on to putty.

1st: Sorry for answering so slowly, forgot to put on notifications 😉
2nd: I have now skipped that step, and moved on to putty, but without success. Right now I'm considering whether CP is running at the NAS at all. I reboot the NAS from time to time, and I don't know if CP starts automatically? And if it doasn't, then I don't know how to start it 🙂
Message 108 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

Squazz wrote:
StephenB wrote:

2nd: I have now skipped that step, and moved on to putty, but without success. Right now I'm considering whether CP is running at the NAS at all. I reboot the NAS from time to time, and I don't know if CP starts automatically? And if it doasn't, then I don't know how to start it 🙂

Try going into /usr/local/crashplan/bin and run "./CrashPlanEngine start".
Message 109 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Crashplan starts automatically on my Pro-6.

Did you remember to edit ui.properties?
Message 110 of 307
Squazz
Aspirant

InterClaw wrote:
Squazz wrote:
StephenB wrote:

Try going into /usr/local/crashplan/bin and run "./CrashPlanEngine start".

Tried that, it tells me that CP is running

StephenB wrote:

I have edited a little, ATM the file looks like this:
#Fri Dec 09 09:50:22 CST 2005
serviceHost=192.168.1.66
#servicePort=4243
#pollerPeriod=1000 # 1 second
#connectRetryDelay=10000 # 10 seconds
#connectRetryAttempts=3
#showWelcome=true

#font.small=
#font.default=
#font.title=
#font.message.header=
#font.message.body=
#font.tab=

I have been wondering if I schould althe the serviceport til 4200?
Message 111 of 307
StephenB
Guru

Squazz wrote:
StephenB wrote:

I have edited a little, ATM the file looks like this:
serviceHost=192.168.1.66
#servicePort=4243

I have been wondering if I schould althe the serviceport til 4200?

Change it to
#serviceHost=192.168.1.66
servicePort=4200

(specify the new service port, but not the servicehost).

If you look at the putty configuration (tunnels) you should see
L4200     localhost:4243
in the forwarded ports box.
Message 112 of 307
Squazz
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:

Change it to
#serviceHost=192.168.1.66
servicePort=4200

(specify the new service port, but not the servicehost).

If you look at the putty configuration (tunnels) you should see
L4200     localhost:4243
in the forwarded ports box.

That did the trick! Yes! Thanks 🙂

Update:
Even though it worked, I now can't get the UI working on my desktop 😕 It's like it's constantly trying to connect to my NAS, but is getting refused because I'm tunneling with putty.
I have tried resetting & out-commenting the servicePort.
The problem is solved by reinstalling CP on my desktop, but I'm curious to what I could be doing wrong 🙂
Message 113 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

Bought a ultra some months ago and finally just got it up and running, needed to get crashplan back up and running..I went through the steps and they still work, thought there might be a java 7 jre but could not find one, at some point that might become an issue. If anyone has any comments or updates let me know and I will update the orginal post if I can.
Message 114 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

bishoptf wrote:
Bought a ultra some months ago and finally just got it up and running, needed to get crashplan back up and running..I went through the steps and they still work, thought there might be a java 7 jre but could not find one, at some point that might become an issue. If anyone has any comments or updates let me know and I will update the orginal post if I can.

You can check out a post by me on the previous page for at least one way to update to java 7. 🙂
Message 115 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

InterClaw wrote:
bishoptf wrote:

You can check out a post by me on the previous page for at least one way to update to java 7. 🙂

I missed that one, looks like it works, I stopped java, downloaded the embedded version which required me to register, I was doing a wget and didn't realize it wasn't downloading the real file, grrr oracle, but after messing around with that and finally getting the real file, it worked straight away. Not sure if they will keep the addon up to date but it does install the one you download.

I was looking at using another debian repo but it wanted to pull in a whole bunch of other stuff, upside would be they would keep it up to date but this appears to be cleaner for now.

I will think about updating the original post if possible and add some words about this method. Saves quite a few steps let me see what I can do, I'm a nix guy so cli is easy peasy for me, but I understand not the mainstream.
Message 116 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

Updated the first posting to hopefully make it even easier, if anyone spots any issues or updates let me know and I will make the changes if I missed anything or can make something more clear.
Message 117 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

bishoptf wrote:
Updated the first posting to hopefully make it even easier, if anyone spots any issues or updates let me know and I will make the changes if I missed anything or can make something more clear.

Glad I could contribute. 🙂
Message 118 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

I was doing some more work tonight and noticed when I fired up crashplan iI noticed it was in a backup state that appeared to be hung, it said it was trying to connect. In the logs I noticed that Reason for stopping backup: the backup destination was disconnected. so far I restarted and it began to work but did the same thing.

Anyone see this happening to them and any solutions?
Message 119 of 307
StephenB
Guru

I've seen this occasionally, I don't have a better solution than restarting.
Message 120 of 307
bishoptf
Aspirant

I was seeing the disconnected issue quite often, I upgraded my memory to 2Gb and so far that has cured my crashplan disconnected issue that I was seeing, so far everything appears to be running better. 🙂
Message 121 of 307
StephenB
Guru

bishoptf wrote:
I was seeing the disconnected issue quite often, I upgraded my memory to 2Gb and so far that has cured my crashplan disconnected issue that I was seeing, so far everything appears to be running better. 🙂
I also upgraded to 2 GB, which does seem to help overall performance with Crashplan. Though I have experienced at least one disconnected issue after that.
Message 122 of 307
irohitmishra
Aspirant

very helpful post.........

Rohit Mishra
Message 123 of 307
joepez
Aspirant

Hopefully someone can help me out with this problem.

I tried to follow the steps from the first post, but on a 516 running 6.1.2 the FrontView installer refuses to recognize the EJRE installer as a valid pacakge.

So I tried an alternative method found here (http://www.shasam.net/blog/2012/3/21/crashplan-on-the-netgear-readynas-x86.html), but there is no apt-get for the Sun Java 7 packages, so I installed the OpenJDK 7 package.

Install went fine for OpenJDK 7 . I run java -version and get the following:

java version "1.7.0_21"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.3.9) (7u21-2.3.9-1ubuntu1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.7-b01, mixed mode)

I followed through on the rest of the steps and download and extracted the latest CrashPlan client (3.5.3). When I try and run install.sh I get the following error message:
Error: Could not find or load main class com.code42.utils.JavaEnvironment
The current version of Java () is incompatible with CrashPlan.
Please install one of the following version of the Sun JRE or OpenJDK: 1.5 1.6 1.7

I know Java is installed, everything appears to be there, but I'm stumped.

Can anyone help me figure out what's missing?
Message 124 of 307
InterClaw
Aspirant

Try to install EJRE 1.6 instead maybe?
Message 125 of 307
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements