× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Betreff: Crashplan "Could not find JAR file" since 6.5 update

rugene
Guide

Crashplan "Could not find JAR file" since 6.5 update

Since the 6.5 upgrade my crashplan install has quit working. It had been running just fine.

Now, when I do a "./CrashPlanEngine status", I get this error message:

"Could not find JAR file /usr/local/crashplan/bin/../lib/com.backup42.desktop.jar"

I've tried uninstall and reinstall of the latest crashplan but no joy.

I'm guessing that the upgrade to 6.5 overwrote some JAVA related path information but I'm not enough of a linux guru to know were to look.

I've check my java level ( update-alternatives --config java) and made sure it was at 1.7 but as I understand it crashplan installs its own so I'm sure that matters.

Any ideas?

thanks

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 10
StephenB
Guru

Re: Crashplan "Could not find JAR file" since 6.5 update

Is the JAR file in that directory or somewhere else?

You might also try crashplan support.  Though they say they don't support headless configurations, in my experience they will give some help.

Message 2 of 10
newuser11
Tutor

I am on 6.4.2 still - yet havng the same error

Message 3 of 10
rugene
Guide

just an FYI, Crashplan is working for me on 6.5 but I had to reinstall it for it to work. I also had to reinstall CPIO inplace of busybox/cpio to get the crashplan install to work. I don't understand why that was necessary given I had already replace cpio some time back.

Message 4 of 10
john_h1
Tutor

Can you provide the steps you did to re-install?

Message 5 of 10
mctubster
Tutor

Hi,

Interestingly I had this issue, and thought it was because of the 6.5 update, but turn out to be a Crashplan update that came out at almost the same time, the Crashplan update borked itself.

Anyway here are the high level steps I took to recover.

Replace busybox-cpio with cpio (that is why the crashplan update failed)

# apt-get install cpio

Download the latest Crashplan into home

# cd
# wget https://download2.code42.com/installs/linux/install/CrashPlan/CrashPlan_4.7.0_Linux.tgz

Extract

# tar zxf CrashPlan_4.7.0_Linux.tgz

cd into the extracted dir

# cd crashplan-install/

Now you will need to run the uninstall script and then the install script.

Note - Make sure when you run the install script that you put Crashplan where ever you had it before, eg for me I just use the default installer locations but have a softlink from /usr/local/crashplan to /data/crashplan so it isn't taking space from the root volume. Also note that something (or someone) deleted my crashplan backups on this NAS from my other local machines, I don't have enough evidence to determine if the Crashplan upgrade script did something, I did something accidently or who knows. Anyway this time I created a backup share via the NAS interface disabling any sharing (since it is just for crashplan to store local backups from friends) and put a custom snapshot schedule on it for three months, then used this as my backup location when setting up crashplan again ie /data/backup. Of course if you only backup to the Crashplan cloud this doesn't really matter.

You will also note the install script downloads and sets up JAVA as required for you, reasonably slick.

Uninstalling (you need to know the base dir where crashplan is installed (the below is the default location)

# ./uninstall.sh -i /usr/local/crashplan

Reinstalling

# ./install.sh

This should cleanly install and start up Crashplan.

Of course the next bit of fun is connectioning to the headless Crashplan. Since you have reinstalled you will need to grab the new UUID from .ui_info

# cd /var/lib/crashplan
# cat .ui_info

You will see something like this
4243,185c81b6-4759-4c22-9487-be5e1dc4c051,127.0.0.1

If you are using an SSH tunnel to port forward you can just copy the second part eg 185c81b6-4759-4c22-9487-be5e1dc4c051 (yours will be unique). You need this identifier to connect remotely, since you are already using Crashplan I will assume you are across how to do this. I use UISwitcher 1.4 to flick between my Windows PC local Crashplan and Crashplan on my NAS.

Cheers

Steve

Message 6 of 10
john_h1
Tutor

Awesome, thanks Steve, back up and running.

Message 7 of 10
mctubster
Tutor

No problem John,

Just had to repeat my above instructions, I had previously upgraded the ReadyNAS version to 6.5.1 which meant I had the wrong version of CPIO

Crashplan then tried to update itself to 4.8 on the 10th October and the installer blew up (because of busybox version of cpio).

Just swaped out cpio, uninstalled and reinstalled as per my prevous instructions.

For headless mode I don't use an SSH tunnel to connect so you will need to grab your uuid from /var/lib/crashplan/.ui_info and make sure crashplan is listening by editing /usr/local/crashplan/conf/my.service.xml and change localhost to 0.0.0.0 or your local network eg 10.10.10.0 and restart.

Message 8 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Betreff: Crashplan "Could not find JAR file" since 6.5 update

I have asked engineering if we really need to use the busybox version of cpio. If not, it should be easy to change things so that we don't overwrite a standalone cpio package with a symlink to busybox on a firmware update.

Message 9 of 10
mctubster
Tutor

Re: Betreff: Crashplan "Could not find JAR file" since 6.5 update

Hi,

That would be very helpful! 

Thanks

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo