× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Create One Time Backup that will never get deleted.

joe_wht
Luminary

Create One Time Backup that will never get deleted.

Snapshots eventaully get pushed off / deleted.

I want to create a -1- time backup that will NEVER be deleted.

example: I bought a new iphone & as everyone knows when you reload your itunes music

it tends to make duplicates, then Re-arranges  your artist, albums & such.

After a few weeks, I could not locate some of my music & looked through the snapshots

and this album was in a snapshot like 5 days from dropping off ( being deleted ).

I looked over my music list and was shocked at what was not there.

I pulled out my old old 1gb external WD Passport and loaded most of what was missing.

( what was missing was music that iTunes didn't like because it was not purchased from them)

after dragging and dropping WD>ReadyNAS.. then I went through deleting a ton.. ( lord help)

SO.. What I wanna do is 2x a year,  make a FIRM, SECURE backup of everything that wont

get deleted or pushed off the system.

Years back I used to have a backup program that matched EVERYTHING up. You could select options

to NOT delete anything, and only to add any missing items. It even gave you a popup of what it would

put back and you can uncheck items you didn't want.  I wish ReadyNAS had a program like that.

But back to the Q.. How can I create a Backup that wont get deleted ?

Model: RN2120v2|Readynas 2120v2 1U 4-Bay Diskless
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

You can create an archival share, and create a web ui backup job to back up the main share to the archival one.  Re-running the backup job won't delete anything in the archival share (unless you override the default settings).  It will over-write files that have changed of course.

You can run that backup job manually or on a schedule.  Since it doesn't delete anything in the destination, you could run it more often than 2x a year with no bad consequences.

Note you can also do a backup this way to a USB drive, which is better since you are getting a backup copy on a separate device.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

You can create an archival share, and create a web ui backup job to back up the main share to the archival one.  Re-running the backup job won't delete anything in the archival share (unless you override the default settings).  It will over-write files that have changed of course.

You can run that backup job manually or on a schedule.  Since it doesn't delete anything in the destination, you could run it more often than 2x a year with no bad consequences.

Note you can also do a backup this way to a USB drive, which is better since you are getting a backup copy on a separate device.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements