× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Create a new local account. How to create a Home Folder Share?

kamanwu
Aspirant

Create a new local account. How to create a Home Folder Share?

My current OS verson is: 6.9.4

I have created a local account: (eg: abcd).   I want he could have a home directory (with password protected) which can access from windows 10 (via smb).

I found this: https://kb.netgear.com/7027/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Creating-a-Home-Share,  BUT I do not have the option "home folders" on settings page.

I try to do it by myself, just go to "shares" to create a new share.  When I type the name 'abcd',  it says: "creation of abcd share leads to disabling of home folder of user abcd. Do you want to continue?"

What should I do?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
kamanwu
Aspirant

Re: Create a new local account. How to create a Home Folder Share?

I amswer this question by mself.

For what ever reason.  my windows 10 has smb v1 enabled.  After  I disable the smb v1 client.  It works like linux.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 6

All Replies
kamanwu
Aspirant

I think it's windows 10 problem.  I do can access the share folder:  smb://11.11.11.11/abcd with correct user/pass when I use Linux

Do I need do somthing in windows 10?

Message 2 of 6
kamanwu
Aspirant

I amswer this question by mself.

For what ever reason.  my windows 10 has smb v1 enabled.  After  I disable the smb v1 client.  It works like linux.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

As I noted on your other thread - the SMB v1 client wasn't the problem.

Message 4 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@kamanwu wrote:

My current OS verson is: 6.9.4

--- 

I found this: https://kb.netgear.com/7027/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Creating-a-Home-Share,  BUT I do not have the option "home folders" on settings page.

This KB article is not applicable - it clearly says "This article is relevant only between ReadyNAS OS 6.0.1 and 6.1.9."

Applicable is How do I configure home folders on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system? ... however you seem to have this in place on the RN already.

@kamanwu wrote:

For what ever reason.  my windows 10 has smb v1 enabled.  After  I disable the smb v1 client.  It works like linux.

The presence of the CIFS/SMB 1.0 client on Windows 10 does not change the behaviour, as Windows and the NAS will negotiate to the highest/best SMB protocol during the connection set-up.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@schumaku wrote:
@kamanwu wrote:

My current OS verson is: 6.9.4

--- 

I found this: https://kb.netgear.com/7027/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Creating-a-Home-Share,  BUT I do not have the option "home folders" on settings page.

This KB article is not applicable - it clearly says "This article is relevant only between ReadyNAS OS 6.0.1 and 6.1.9."

@JohnCM_S or @Marc_V:  Can you have this article taken down?  The risk of confusion outweights the benefit.  6.2.0 was released in 2014.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements