× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Creating an instance of Raidiator 6.10.8 as a virtual machine?

sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Creating an instance of Raidiator 6.10.8 as a virtual machine?

Is there a way to create an instance of Raidiator 6.10.8 as a VM? I want to be able to use Parallels on my mac with an install of of 6.10.8 so I can test software installs without risk. I tried just downloading the .img files and Parallels doesn't like them. Has anyone got this working? If so, do you have an image file you can share?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: Creating an instance of Raidiator 6.10.8 as a virtual machine?

https://github.com/ReadyNAS/sdk/wiki/Setup-ReadyNAS-OS-on-VirtualBox 

Once you get it running, you can update to OS 6.10.8 just as you would a real NAS.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 33

All Replies
Sandshark
Sensei

https://github.com/ReadyNAS/sdk/wiki/Setup-ReadyNAS-OS-on-VirtualBox 

Once you get it running, you can update to OS 6.10.8 just as you would a real NAS.

Message 2 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Excellent, thank you!

Message 3 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

I wasn't able to get this working via Virtual Box, VMware or Parallels.
On VMware I loaded the .vmdk and start it, but get:

>>Start PXE over IPv4.

PXE-E16: No valid offer received.

>>Start PXE over PVv6

Then it produces the attachment.

Looks like it's trying to network boot?

The Virtual Box gives this error:
28.2241331 MMI Watchdog: BUG: soft lockup - CPU#0 stuck for 23s! swapper/0

Any ideas?

Message 4 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

t sounds like you failed to attach the boot drive, which emulates the internal flash of a real ReadyNAS, to the VM per the instructions in that article.

Message 5 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

I've tried this multiple times now. I think I'm following the directions exactly but it still fails with the same error. I have created two SATA ports:
SATA Port 0: ReadyNASOS-6.6.0-x86_64.vmdk (Normal, 112MB)

SATA Port 1: ReadyNAS OS VM_1.vhd (Normal, 5GB)

I've also tried creating two .vhd's 5GB each

I've also tried creating a VDI instead of a VHD because in the example pictures the extension for the data drive is .vdi

The instructions mention the minimum disk size should be 5GB, and the .vmdk is only 112MB, perhaps it's too small? I couldn't figure out how to expand that disk to 5GB to test though.

Message 6 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

You are using a UEFI boot.  It needs to be standard BIOS.

Here is my configuration:

Clipboard03.jpg

Clipboard05.jpg

Message 7 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

Can't seem to edit my reply, but I wanted to add that the boot drive emulates the flash memory in a real NAS, so it's smaller.  Since the OS partition is 4GB, and swap is 512K, you are really going to want a bigger data drive than 5GB.

Message 8 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

I installed again from scratch and I'm not using UEFI now. I'm attaching screen shots. The screen shots you tried to attach didn't come through, perhaps you could re-upload? I'm also attaching the errors I get as well. Basically I get the:

NMI Watchdog: BUG: soft lockup CPU#0 stuck for 22secs!

Basically, I was sure to UN-check "Enable EFI" in the "System" setting. I also set my data disk to 10GB. All the same result...

I also tried selecting "linux" and "debian 8 jessie" and "Other Liniux 64bit" in "General", all same result.

The screen shots show my VM configs as well as boot errors.

Message 9 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@sleeplesswaves wrote:

The screen shots you tried to attach didn't come through, perhaps you could re-upload?

You should be able to see @Sandshark's images now. 

Message 10 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Okay, I'm fairly confident at this point I have the VM configured correctly, perhaps it's the .vmdk image? I tried the 6.2.4 image as well with the same result. I see you used a different image ending in "flash". Does anyone have an alternate image I could try?

Thanks all for helping!

Message 11 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Okay, finally.... I tried setting this up on my Windows 11 AMD machine... It worked (after I enabled virtualization in the BIOS)...

Now I'm stuck at a login screen... I've tried:
login: admin
password: password

password: netgear1

Neither worked. Any ideas?

I think my problems running this on the Mac M1 was using a beta version of the ARM Virtualbox... Something isn't ready for prime time.

Message 12 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@sleeplesswaves wrote:

Now I'm stuck at a login screen... I've tried:

password: netgear1

Default admin password for OS-6 is password.

Is the system booting from the OS partition (which is on the RAID disks, not the flash)?

Message 13 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

I think I made it!!!!

I used:
login: root

And I'm in...

At this point, how can I upgrade to 6.10.8?

Message 14 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

You need to access the GUI, complete the set-up (including assigning a new Admin password), and update just like a real NAS.  How you access it depends on how you set up LAN port(s).  If you used "Bridged" or "Generic Driver", then it should have an IP address assigned by DHCP and reachable from any PC on your network.  If you used "Host Only", then it is assigned an IP only accessible from the host computer, which will also now have a "port" configured on that network.  RAIDar will show you the address(es).  I have assigned one of each. You can assign more than just two, BTW.

You can also set up a "NAT Network" so your various VM's (on the same computer) can access each other.  That's not really needed for OS6, but is quite useful on a RAIDiator 4.2.x VM where you can use a Win7 (or other older) VM to access it to get around the protocol depreciations in more up to date OSes.

Message 15 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

Since you accepted my solution, I'm going to assume you did accomplish the OS update.

BTW, I just re-named the flash image to something that makes it easier for me to tell what it is.  It's nothing different from what you should have once you've updated the OS.

Message 16 of 33
sleeplesswaves
Aspirant

Yes, I was able to update the OS and have a working 6.10.8 NAS VM on my local network.

I'm using this as a test ground to try and get OpenVPN or Linux ExpressVPN app working.

Many thanks for the help!

Message 17 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

It is a good way to do that kind of testing.  You can make a copy of your data drive before you try anything and just put it back as it was if something goes terribly wrong.

Message 18 of 33
tigerten
Luminary

sorry to hijack this. Is there a way to deploy the same VMDK in esxi or proxmox?

Message 19 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

I don't think so.  The OS recognizes that it's running in VirtualBox.  Where it normally displays the model number in the GUI, it says "Virtualbox Simulation".  But you can certainly try it.

Message 20 of 33
tigerten
Luminary

The ReadyNAS vmkd is a monolithic sparse disk. Esxi will not take it. using esxi can potentially enable USB which is very useful.
Message 21 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

In the VBox VM, lspci reveals:  USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller.  I've not actually connected a USB drive, but I assume it works.

Message 22 of 33
tigerten
Luminary

I have been unable. No error messages, just can’t see the usb drive anywhere in the UI, system overview, shares or backup. The isb drive is being shared as the host computer does not see the Usb drive once the vm is running.
Message 23 of 33
tigerten
Luminary

I played a bit. You are right the USB controller is there. I can manually mount and access the USB using SSH. I can not bring it to the frontview. 

Can you give it a try?  @Sandshark 

Message 24 of 33
tigerten
Luminary

This can be deployed in esxi making a virtual soft readynas. Just need to figure out how to automount external USB under /media and appear in frontview.
Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements