× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Credentials for backup from PC and laptop to ReadyNas 102

yeti4
Aspirant

Credentials for backup from PC and laptop to ReadyNas 102

I have two computers - laptop and PC. Both have Windows 10. I need to make backup from laptop to ReadyNas and from PC to ReadyNas. It works properly, but there is one problem with PC which I can't solve. Backup is possibly only if sharing protected password is OFF in Windows. In laptop it works (I entered credentials)  but I can't find out what for credentials are there. Can anybody help me solve this problem?

Message 1 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Re: Credentials for backup from PC and laptop to ReadyNas 102

you chould be able to see the credential you are using in the laptop by running the windows credential manager.  You won't see the password of course, but you will see the username.

Message 2 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

Because on laptop it works and on my PC doesn't, so I tried in Credential manager to change step by step all logins, but my backup worked all the time. When I changed login in my backup job, it stopped working. So I do not know which credentials are really used by  backup to fix it in my PC.

Message 3 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@yeti4 wrote:

Because on laptop it works and on my PC doesn't, so I tried in Credential manager to change step by step all logins, but my backup worked all the time. When I changed login in my backup job, it stopped working. So I do not know which credentials are really used by  backup to fix it in my PC.

Is this a backup job on NAS?  Or a backup program running on the PC?  If the latter, what program is it?

Message 4 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

It is backup job on NAS.

Message 5 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@yeti4 wrote:

It is backup job on NAS.

Ok, I was thinking the other way around.

I think the next step is to try and access the PC share from the laptop, and sort out the permissions that way.

Are you using local accounts with PIN disabled on the PC?

Message 6 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

Connection from laptop to PC doesn't work. Internal network from PC to NAS with credentials works OK. ReadyCloud from PC to NAS doesn't work with credentials ON. When credentials are OFF it works OK. I have noticed, that only when I change login in USER ACCOUNT it has influence on backup job. When I do the same from credential manager it has no influence on backup job. At least I know what for credential I am writing in backup job. I do not use local accounts with PIN.

Message 7 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Are you wanting to back up with ReadyCloud Sync or are you sharing a folder on the PC?

Message 8 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

I prefer to make back up of some folders from PC to NAS from time to time, and I would like to know why it doesn't work

Message 9 of 16
StephenB
Guru

@yeti4 wrote:

I prefer to make back up of some folders from PC to NAS from time to time, and I would like to know why it doesn't work

If you are using frontview backup, then you need to share a folder on the PC with Windows filesharing, and use the proper Windows PC credentials in the NAS backup job.

The simplest way to troubleshoot the PC side of things is to attempt to access the PC from another Windows machine (in this case your laptop), and make sure that it works.  Earlier in the thread you said that didn't work.  So solving that is the first step.

FWIW, It's easier to back up up using software on the PC.

Message 10 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

I suppose that it may  be because of settings in network cards in PC. I have network configured as follows: Acces to internet is by Router. Router is connected to Hub by cable. NAS and PC are connected to Hub by cables. Only laptop is connected by WiFi to Router. So I need some time to find out how to set up network cards to make it run. Thank you very much for your assistance and helpful advices 

Message 11 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Can you give us the manufacturer/model name for the hub and router?

Message 12 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

Router is especially manufactured for NETIA it is named NETIASPOT.

Hub is TL-SG1005D

Network cards in my PC-

Leaf Networks Adapter and

Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

I hope it may be useful

Message 13 of 16
StephenB
Guru

The Leaf adapter is a virtual adapter - there is no actual leaf network card.  Leaf Networks invented the ReadyCloud technology and were eventually bought by Netgear.   So the leaf "adapter" is just software that looks like a network card that is part of ReadyCloud. 

Anyway, I think the issue is in the way the PC is set up.  You should be able to access the shared folders in the PC from the laptop.

This guide includes information on setting up the shared PC folders: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29754

Message 14 of 16
yeti4
Aspirant

Problem solved. Reason was simple but time consuming. I have changed user name using:

>Control panel>User accounts>User Accounts>Change your Account name..

It was not enough for the system, which always had seen old user name, though I had seen everywhere new user name.  Then I changed user name  using:

>Computer management>Users>Users. 

It was enough for the system and now my backup works OK

Message 15 of 16
StephenB
Guru

Good to know, thx for posting the solution.  I'm glad you are running now.

Message 16 of 16
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements