× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Cron, rsync, broken pipe, and SSH disconnecting

dcg13
Aspirant

Cron, rsync, broken pipe, and SSH disconnecting

Hi- I'm trying to move 3TB of files from a Drobo to a ReadyNAS 214.

The Drobo is directly connected to the ReadyNAS via USB.

My approach is to SSH into the ReadyNAS then use rsync.

However, there are frequent errors in the process (see attached screenshots, please) that cause the rsync to fail, either due to broken pipe(32) or the SSH connection closing (pic).

I was thinking of making a script and placing it into cron.hourly. Would this accomplish the task?

Thanks.

Model: RN214D41|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4-Bay
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Cron, rsync, broken pipe, and SSH disconnecting

You can try using things such as screen, nohup or dtach rather than running on a schedule if you prefer.

Message 2 of 6
dcg13
Aspirant

Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to try those.

I wrote 'try to try' because of how frequently the SSH session closes-- I can barely "get in" before it exits. While nohup will help me to continue processes after logout, how can I resolve the SSH disconnects? I'm running 

ssh -v root@10.0.1.2

Message 3 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Not sure why the SSH connection would be disconnecting so quickly. My SSH connections I've always found to be reliable.

Message 4 of 6
dcg13
Aspirant

Yes, the SSH closes after anywhere from 30sec - 15min. I also just switched, in context of troubleshooting, to a different Macbook, with the same result. Frequently, after the connection closes, it cannot be reopened without rebooting the ReadyNAS.

It's quite frustrating, as I've been trying since early July to move data off of the Drobo onto the ReadyNAS, and I feel I'm making very little progress.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

How full is the OS partition on the NAS?

Is the SSH connection stable if you simply leave the SSH connection open,  (not attempting to transfer data from the drobo)?

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements