× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DLNA and 4K Samsung TV

suskis
Aspirant

DLNA and 4K Samsung TV

I have a 4K UE55HU7100 Samsung TV that can read ALMOST any format (.H265 too). The problem lies in DLNA: many video formats that my tv can read via USB, are not recognized if used via DLNA. What's worse, accessing some files through LAN prevents me from skipping chapters and even using fast forward or rewind functions. This can be a nightmare if you, for example, have to stop a 3 hours movie when you are at 15 minutes from the end and later you want to "resume" it...
Any alternative?
Message 1 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Re: DLNA and 4K Samsung TV

Have you tried both plex and ReadyDLNA?
Message 2 of 8
suskis
Aspirant

I am using ReadyDLNA. I installed Plex but the amount of mess it produced was unbearable. 2 out of 10 movies were not properly recognized and it was extremely slow to catalogue everything. Is it possible to use Plex only as a sharing system? its auto-catalogue system is something I do not want to use.
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

I'm not sure if you can completely turn the matching off or not. There is an article here: https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-us/articles/200241558

One alternative is to buy a media player that supports NFS or CIFS. There's no easy way to overcome limitations in the TV's DLNA client.
Message 4 of 8
suskis
Aspirant

looks like I'll have to root my TV to gain access to Samba folders over the network... 1600 euros for a 4K tv and that's what you get
Message 5 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

An alternative would be to connect an external player to the TV.
Message 6 of 8
suskis
Aspirant

that's why I bought a H265 enabled tv: to get rid of an external player... maybe I am asking too much!
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

DLNA clients and servers often don't play nicely together.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements