× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS ( /etc/resolv.conf ) empty on restart

zackiv31
Aspirant

DNS ( /etc/resolv.conf ) empty on restart

I just upgraded my Pro from 4.2.15 -> 4.2.17.

On 4.2.15 I had installed Crashplan and ppp VPN client on it... (I don't know if this is related at all)....

CrashPlan is running just fine with the update.

Now when I restart my Pro, /etc/resolv.conf is blank.. and I have to manually add my routers IP to it.

The Setting in FrontView > Network > Global Settings -> DNS Settings is greyed out, so I can't just add it there.

It might be related to the ppp install which I followed from here: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=33132 I know I had to follow those directions to the T and probably have modules there or scripts that shouldn't be.. I just dont know what I should remove.

How do I get the DNS to populate normally/automatically?
Message 1 of 7
chirpa
Luminary

DNS settings are grayed out when you are configured for DHCP (automatic IP assignment). Usually once you obtain an IP, the resolv.conf is populated.

Does this command differ on your system?
# lsattr /etc/resolv.conf 
--------------- /etc/resolv.conf
Message 2 of 7
zackiv31
Aspirant

My IP is static...

me-pro:~# lsattr /etc/resolv.conf
--------------- /etc/resolv.conf
Message 3 of 7
zackiv31
Aspirant

I set the IP to DHCP.. and then set it to Static again... I think it may be working somehow ?
Message 4 of 7
zackiv31
Aspirant

Hmm... kinda... trying again.
Message 5 of 7
thierman
Aspirant

I also have this problem.

Actually the problem for me happened after a power outtage, the machine is on a UPS and was gracefully shutdown. When the machine came up, I got an email informing me that a new version of RAIDiator-x86 4.2.16 had been installed. However, my NAS could no longer do DNS resolution. So I looked at the DNS settings under Network -> Global Settings -> DNS Settings and found that they were now blank and greyed out.
I also have my ReadyNas Pro setup with a static IP address.

So, being frustrated and not having time to go looking to see what bugs had been reported for this version. I just added my info back to /etc/resolv.conf and now FrontView reports the DNS info, but they are still greyed out. Which means I don't know whats going to happen next upgrade.

SO, basicly, the same problem. I would like to understand how FrontView decides to grey out that pannel, maybe then I could figure out what is causing it.

In the meantime, this sucks, cause the next time I upgrade I'm going to be faced with the same problem...

So if anyone has any answers to this....

Also had two shares that FrontView knows about, but I couldn't modify them, (when I applied any changes it would just refesh the screen back to what I had before i modified it) nor were they exported cause they were missing from /etc/exports, so I had to manually add them and re-export them to get that to work. So, I suspect something in the database that FrontView uses seems corrupted on my system.

I did have a problem, almost a year ago now, that I had to contact Tech support about. The problem involved a disk in a wierd state. They went on the machine for several hours fixing the problem. Don't know if what they did might have left the frontview database in a wierd state.

Then again, I'm just assuming that frontview has a separate database. Though, having entries vanish from my /etc/exports after an upgrade, to me, it must have rebuilt the /etc/exports file as part of the upgrade, and I figure, it did it from a seperate database somewhere.
Message 6 of 7
berkut1
Tutor

I recently upgraded my ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer Edition [X-RAID2] firmware from 4.2.15 to 4.2.21.
The upgrade for all appearances went without a hitch.
However when I attempted to use my ReadyNAS Remote application I found that the system had lost its DNS settings.
My NAS uses static IP and DNS settings. When I looked under global settings, I found these fields to be both greyed out and greyed out (ie: not editable).

The only way I was able to recover was to:
1) Switch the network to DHCP and Reboot
2) Login via the DHCP address.
3) Switch back to static, changing the static IP back to its original value and then reboot again.

At this point I needed to reboot the Windows machine that was running Remote to reestablish a connection to the server and on the NAS I removed and added back the allowed user. I am not sure If this last step was necessary but I did get the ReadyNAS remote connection working again so its all good.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements