× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: DNS for ReadyNAS 2304 and ReadyNAS 214 under macOS Big Sur

gos2610
Aspirant

DNS for ReadyNAS 2304 and ReadyNAS 214 under macOS Big Sur

Hello,

I have installed 2 NAS Storage Systems (ReadyNAS 214 & ReadyNAS 2304) on my Network. Both get there reserved IP address from a DHCP Server (my BINTEC Router).

On my Windows Systems I can adress both NAS Systems with their DNS Name, for example NAS-AG20.

On my macOS Big Sur Systems and my iOS Systems the NAS will be registrated at the first time after booting the NAS System with the correct name. But then - I think on every refresching the DHCP Lease - the System will get a new DNS Name  NAS-AG20-1, AG20-NAS-2 ... and so on. After that I can address the System (for example by PING) with this new name.

But this is a problem for any defined and saved network path.

Any idea for solution?

Thanks

Stefan

Bild 06.09.21 um 17.26.jpg

Model: RN21400|ReadyNAS 214 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 4
StephenB
Guru

This is a new one for me, although I am not a mac user.

Windows isn't appending the -1, -2 stuff - so I am thinking it might be something that Big Sur is doing. 

One practical work-around is to use the reserved IP address instead of the host name.  You could also put the proper name in the hosts file on the mac.

Message 2 of 4
gos2610
Aspirant

Hi StephanB,

It is clear that you can do it this way, but this is only a workaround and not a solution Smiley Wink

So I hope for the soution ...+

Thanks
StefanG 🙂

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@gos2610 wrote:

this is only a workaround and not a solution Smiley Wink

Yes, which I said in my reply.

Sometimes workarounds are the best you can do.  Hopefully someone who is running Big Sur will chime in with something better.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements