× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

DUO v2 flex-raid raid0 replacing disk 1

sanjayradia
Aspirant

DUO v2 flex-raid raid0 replacing disk 1

My problem is very similar to that discribed in the following discussion (now closed) but I am stuck and need a way to proceed. (Here is similar post - https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/DUO-Flex-RAID-0-Replace-disk-1/m-p/847039#M2111...)

I have Duo-V2 and have 2 disks with flex-raid using raid 0. ie there is no data protection and each disk is an independent volume. I want to replace disk 1 with a larger disk.

Originally here is config shown by mdstat:

md3 : active raid0 sdb3[0]
972041856 blocks super 1.2 16k chunks

md2 : active raid0 sda3[0]
483664832 blocks super 1.2 64k chunks <---- this is disk i want replace - it my disk-c ie /dev/c/c

md1 : active raid1 sda2[0] sdb2[1]
524276 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

md0 : active raid1 sda1[0] sdb1[1]
4193268 blocks super 1.2 [2/2] [UU]

unused devices: <none>

Note that the rood partions are md0 and md1 are raid1.

The original mounts were 

/dev/md0 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime)
/dev/c/c on /c type ext4 (rw,noatime,acl,nodelalloc,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0)
/dev/d/d on /d type ext4 (rw,noatime,acl,nodelalloc,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0)
nfsd on /proc/fs/nfsd type nfsd (rw)

I replaced disk 1. The root partition got created on the new disk (and I think synced from disk2) on the new disk:

md3 : active raid0 sdb3[0]
972041856 blocks super 1.2 16k chunks

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1]
524276 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1]
4193268 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

However the main volume on the new disk where one can store data has not been created, ie md2 and disk volume c /dev/c/c/ was not created.

When I look at the front view (mine is 5.3) it shows that the new disk is healthy but gives me no option to create the volume.  (I think frontview 4.x did give  a way to create a new volume). I have waited several hours hoping it will automatically format the volume C but it has not.

On one of the threads in the comunity someone mentioned that one has format the volume manually and that readyNas support will only give you those instructions if you pay them for hourly supprt (at which point I am ready to buy a new Synology and give up on crappy Readynas that has no simple way to replace jbod disk).

I believe there are two ways to proceed:

1) Figure out a way to create the volume on the new disk and mount it as disk c

2) mount the two disks on linux and use gpartd to clone or atlease create a similar partition.

I even loaded my old disk on linux and used gpartd hoping to use it to clone the old disk. But gpart d says it is raid disk of unknown type - I think ReadNas might be using ext3 with some special flags. 

Can anyone help?Thanks

BTW My fstab looks like this:

/dev/md0 / ext3 defaults,noatime 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0
/dev/md1 swap swap defaults 0 0

/dev/c/c        /c      ext4    defaults,acl,nodelalloc,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,noatime     0 2
/dev/d/d        /d      ext4    defaults,acl,nodelalloc,user_xattr,usrjquota=aquota.user,grpjquota=aquota.group,jqfmt=vfsv0,noatime     0 2

Message 1 of 2
sanjayradia
Aspirant

Re: DUO v2 flex-raid raid0 replacing disk 1

Correction. The new disk that I installed did not create and sync the raid 1 volume (notice the 2/1 which was previously 2/2)

md1 : active raid1 sdb2[1]
524276 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

md0 : active raid1 sdb1[1]
4193268 blocks super 1.2 [2/1] [_U]

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements