× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Data Degraded Error

jimcocteau
Guide

Data Degraded Error

Hi,

I have just had a reboot and my system is giving a "Data Degraded" registering, I did get a "Disk 3 Error" and was about to backup and replace the disk when the "Data Degared' error occured.

Should I leave or shutdown and try to support rebuild?

Thanks,

Jim

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jimcocteau

The logs sent was before the disk was replaced right? What is the progress of the re-sync now? were you able to get the serial number of the replacement and the drive you replaced? Kindly PM me if it's available.

Re-sync once completed should get your NAS back to normal.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 17 of 19

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jimcocteau

Data degraded means that a disk already failed/dead and it needs replacement.

It would be advisable to download the logs and check the health of the other disks, do a fuill backup and replace the failed drive so it will rebuild.

Data degraded status means that it will not be able to protect your data if another disk fails.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi Mark_V,

I have worked out I can replace the disk (I do have a spare, same size and type, it has been used in my other unit and will require formating when I install but should be fine. The logs are indicating disk three is the only one degraded so with my configuration as Raid5 with four disks I should be able to resync all files.

Can I just replace with out powering down?

Thanks,

jimcocteau

Message 3 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jimcocteau

Yes, ReadyNAS supports hot swap so you don't need to power down the device when you replace a disk.

Please see How do I replace a disk in my ReadyNAS OS 6

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 4 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi Mark_V,

I have replaced the disk, its a JBOD that I used in my other unit, as attached photo, can I destroy or somhow reformat and then add to my RAID5, I have not rebooted as yet. I will also send logs as per insructions.

If not I will have to power down and obtain a new Disk?

Thanks

Jim

Message 5 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

can I destroy or somhow reformat and then add to my RAID5

Yes.  You can destroy the volume by using the settings wheel next to the volume.  Then select the disk, and use the format control on the volume screen.  After that, XRAID should automatically add it to the volume.

Message 6 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi StepenB,

I can access all my data now (both in Finder and Netgear Admin) so "Destroying" The JBOD inserted Disk will not harm my existing 3 disks or my data, I can then just add to the existing RAID5 when distryed, it will automaticly pick it up?

I'm just a little nervous to do this....so just to be sure I have attached the photo so to confirm I am on the right track?

Thanks,

Jimcocteau

Message 7 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

"Destroying" The JBOD inserted Disk will not harm my existing 3 disks or my data, I can then just add to the existing RAID5 when distryed, it will automaticly pick it up?

Destroying the JBOD volume will of course destory the data on that volume, but it won't touch the RAID-5 volume at all.

After it is destroyed, you will also need to select the JBOD disk using the graphic in the center of the volume screen, and then format it.  After it is formatted, it will automatically be added to the RAID-5 array.  Data will remain available during that process, and when the sync is complete the volume will be redundant again (not degraded),

Message 8 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Thanks StephenB,

Sorry to be such a pin on this but not having done before every step is crucial.

OKay, the disk has been destroyed and is now visable in the volumes (Screenshot), so now hit format? This again will only effect Disk 3?

Thanks,

Jim

Message 9 of 19
StephenB
Guru

Click on disk 3 in the RN104 chassis graphic.  Then click format.  That will only format disk 3.

Message 10 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Thanks StephenB,

Its now resyncing as per screenshot, I know this will take a long time with the amount of Data, I have backed up some of my files but its far to much for my old WD ex drives.

So its not looking too bad.

I would really like to thank you and Mark_V for this help, I was really in a panic a few hours ago.

So far so good.. Smiley Happy

All the best

Jim

Message 11 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi,

ReadyNAS has been resyncing overnight, noticed an "volume Degraded" warning at 1.00am (screen shot) just wanted to check that this was normal?

Thanks,

Jimcocteau

Message 12 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jimcocteau

Did it complete the re-sync? You shouldn't get a Volume Degraded message. If you can download the logs and send it to us please do.

Regards

Message 13 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi Mark_V,

System logs sent, re-sync has not completed (screenshot attached).

Thanks,

Jim

Message 14 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@jimcocteau wrote:

System logs sent, re-sync has not completed (screenshot attached).

It is still proceeding though, correct?

Message 15 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Sorry about the delay gettng back to you.

Yes, seems to be fine, now at 38%

Jim

Message 16 of 19
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @jimcocteau

The logs sent was before the disk was replaced right? What is the progress of the re-sync now? were you able to get the serial number of the replacement and the drive you replaced? Kindly PM me if it's available.

Re-sync once completed should get your NAS back to normal.

Regards

Message 17 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

Hi Marc_V,

Disk Details:

Tue Jul 17 2018 20:57:25   Disk: Disk Model:ST4000VN000-1H4168 Serial:Z300VEY8 was added to Channel 3 of the head unit.

I have also sent uptodate logs, the resync is at 61.14% time left 32.41.22 

Thanks,

jim

Message 18 of 19
jimcocteau
Guide

All is back online and volumes seem fine.

Thanks to Marc_V and all.

Jim

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements