× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Data wiped

ScotPjotr
Follower

Data wiped

Good afternoon,

I have been using my ReadyNAS for several years with great joy. During this time the whole family has been saving pictures, media files and backups to the device in the understanding that the RAID setup would keep these important files safe.

When one of the HDDs died a few months ago I replaced it and expected the device to build the array back up from the remaining 3 drives. Unfortunately, a few days later the ReadyNAS showed that all of the shares/volumes had disappeared.

I am about to panic - does anyone have any suggestions how to get our data back ? Please ?

Thank you

Peter

Model: ReadyNAS RNDU4220|ReadyNAS Ultra 4
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Data wiped

Hi @ScotPjotr

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you are having this issue,It seems that from what you have told it's not only one drive that has failed since the volume got inactive, possibly a multiple disk failure happened rendering the RAID volume to disappear or get inactive. There are still ways to try and recover data, one option is to contact NETGEAR Support through my.netgear.com and purchase a Data recovery contract to have it checked and recover the data or use a third party software like r-linux or ReCLAIMe. 

While RAID provides protection to your data in the event of a disk failure that should not be confused as a good backup solution, Important data should always be backed up somewhere (Ext drive, another NAS) you should always keep multiple copies of your important data to say. As they say, using a NAS for storage is part of a Backup but it shouldn't be the only location where your important data is stored.

Hope this helps!

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Data wiped

Hi @ScotPjotr

Welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear you are having this issue,It seems that from what you have told it's not only one drive that has failed since the volume got inactive, possibly a multiple disk failure happened rendering the RAID volume to disappear or get inactive. There are still ways to try and recover data, one option is to contact NETGEAR Support through my.netgear.com and purchase a Data recovery contract to have it checked and recover the data or use a third party software like r-linux or ReCLAIMe. 

While RAID provides protection to your data in the event of a disk failure that should not be confused as a good backup solution, Important data should always be backed up somewhere (Ext drive, another NAS) you should always keep multiple copies of your important data to say. As they say, using a NAS for storage is part of a Backup but it shouldn't be the only location where your important data is stored.

Hope this helps!

Regards

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements