× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dead Disk replacement - Volume Dead

brettgavin
Tutor

Dead Disk replacement - Volume Dead #19774843

Hi,

Is there any way to manually recover a dead volume?

I have a Pro6. Disk #1 died. I replaced the disk. During the resync, disk #6 died. I removed and reseated disk #6. About a minute later, the Health status reported that the volume is dead. I have almost 5TB of data on the volume. I can replace most of the data. Some of it, about 1Tb, is irreplaceable.

Thank you in advance.

Brett
Message 1 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ouch.

That doesn't look good. That's a dual-disk failure condition. Now did you remove and reseat disk 6 while the NAS was on? If so it's likely disk 6 would have been considered to be a new disk added and wiped. Disk 1 as well as being dead would be out of sync with the other disks

Contact tech support (e.g. make an online case - see Online Submission link in my sig) and post your case number. Depending on the nature of the problem NetGear does offer data recovery services for a fee. However there is no guarantee that they will be able to recover anything. For data recovery problems where NetGear is unable to help there are 3rd party alternatives that can be tried but these tend to be very expensive and again there's no guarantee you'd get any data back.

I do recommend X-RAID2 dual-redundancy (uses RAID-6) and ensuring that backups of irreplaceable data (e.g. to USB disks, other NAS units, the cloud or some place else) are kept up to date.
Message 2 of 10
bollar
Aspirant

Dead Disk replacement - Volume Dead

Ugh.

Before you do anything else, you need to contact Netgear for their advice. In broad terms, a two-disk failure on an Xraid array is catastrophic. Pulling and reseating a drive adds to data recovery complexity, as the NAS wants to format the replaced drive as new.

So, all may not be lost, but you really need Netgear to have a chance to look at it before we recommend something that might cause further damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Message 3 of 10
brettgavin
Tutor

thanks to you both!

yes, I removed and reseated disk #6 while it was on. I kind of thought it couldn't get much worse since the disk was marked "dead". but, the unit was still running the resync, i thought it was somewhat safe, considering the situation.

Netgear Case# 19774843

Thanks again....
Message 4 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Dead Disk replacement - Volume Dead #19774843

Should add that when a disk is replaced it puts heavy stress on all disks as the disk has to be synced sector by sector. So if a second disk is failing the resync can finish it off.

If you hadn't removed and reseated disk 6 data recovery chances would have looked a lot better. Hopefully disk 6 hasn't been wiped but it sounds like it probably has
Message 5 of 10
brettgavin
Tutor

ok. this is weird.

the volume just came back. The home page on the interface doesnt show the size of the volume, and Volume Settings still reports disk #6 is dead. But, Health says it is currently rebuilding with disk #1. I can also access the data again (albeit, super slowly).

?
Message 6 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Maybe they have some checks to not wipe disks inserted when the volume isn't present. Not sure.
Message 7 of 10
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You may wish to download your logs (Status > Logs > Download all Logs) and attach them to your case if you haven't already.

It's normal for access to data to be slow during a resync. Remember all the disk are under heavy stress from the resync.

If (and only if) you have SSH access check to make sure the OS partition has plenty of free space before downloading the logs.

# df -h

What brand and model disks do you have installed?
Message 8 of 10
bollar
Aspirant

Dead Disk replacement - Volume Dead #19774843

Good news!

Get that irreplaceable data backed up ASAP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Message 9 of 10
brettgavin
Tutor

mdgm,

Is it typical for support to be really slow to respond to case notes? It's been a week since I submitted the logs and I still haven't heard whether or not the data is recoverable...

Thank you,
Brett
Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements