× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Dead ReadyNAS Duo RND2150-100NAS with OK disk 2, What other ReadyNAS devices can read this disk?

crystalbrittle
Aspirant

Dead ReadyNAS Duo RND2150-100NAS with OK disk 2, What other ReadyNAS devices can read this disk?

My ReadyNAS Duo RND2150-100NAS died (fan goes on, no lights, won't turn off), along with the circuit boards of both disks in the raid (power surge?). I was able to swap the circuit board (and original ROM) on what I think is disk 2, and read it and image it, but I'm unable to figure out how to recover the data.

So my plan is to buy a used ReadyNAS replacement to use to rebuild the raid. On Ebay, this exact model (RND2150-100NAS) is pretty scarce, so if I can buy a similar ReadyNAS Duo (v2?), that would increase my options. But I now see that there are many ReadyNAS Duo models...

My main question is, what other ReadyNAS devices can I use to recover the data (i.e. read and rebuild the raid from my one ok disk) ?

I'm also open to trying to read the disk on linux to recover the data, if anyone has thoughts on that. Testdisk sees the following partitions:
ext3, Linux SWAP 2, Linux LVM2, Linux LVM2

Thanks!

(also, I have a backup, but it's several months old, so I'd rather try recovering first)
(also also, this ReadyNAS is one of the most reliable devices I've ever owned!)

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Dead ReadyNAS Duo RND2150-100NAS with OK disk 2, What other ReadyNAS devices can read this disk?

@crystalbrittle wrote:

Just to clarify, here's my understanding of what you are saying:

The important compatibility issue for reading disks on these systems is the platform (sparc vs arm).

And so the sparc-based (v1) Duo models as well as the sparc-based (v1) NV+ and NV models will work. 

Correct.

One other detail - if the replacement NAS is running a different firmware version, the system will attempt to either upgrade or downgrade the OS on the disk to match.  Upgrades should be fine, but it's best to avoid downgrades.  The way to handle this is to first do a test install useing a spare disk.  Then either install the firmware version you were running on the original, or alternatively install 4.1.16 (latest and final firmware for sparc systems).

While you are at it, make sure that the system boots with the test disk in every bay (powering down, moving the disk, powering up).  Best to make sure the replacement system functions correctly with a test disk before you trust it.

@crystalbrittle wrote:

And I should be able to rebuild my raid by inserting the mirror disk along with a new replacement disk (of the same model) in the other bay.

Start by inserting just the mirror disk (maybe in slot 2 just to keep the ordering straight).  Then see if the system boots.

No need to match the disk model.  The HCL is no longer a useful guide - I suggest getting either a WD Red Plus disk or an Ironwolf disk.  Avoid the WD Red models - they are SMR (as are many desktop drives).  Not great choices for RAID, and sustained write performance with SMR can be very slow.

The sparc systems have a max disk size limit of 2 TB.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 6

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@crystalbrittle wrote:

So my plan is to buy a used ReadyNAS replacement to use to rebuild the raid. On Ebay, this exact model (RND2150-100NAS) is pretty scarce, so if I can buy a similar ReadyNAS Duo (v2?), that would increase my options. But I now see that there are many ReadyNAS Duo models...

Actually the -100NAS means it is the original Duo (called a v1 here). Other ways to tell:

The original sparc-based (v1) Duo

• says ReadyNAS Duo on the front panel.
  • runs 4.1.x firmware.

while the arm based (v2) Duo

• says ReadyNAS Duo v2 on the front panel
  • runs 5.x firmware

@crystalbrittle wrote:

My main question is, what other ReadyNAS devices can I use to recover the data (i.e. read and rebuild the raid from my one ok disk) ?

Other desktop ReadyNAS you could use are the NV+ and the NV model.  There are a couple of Rack mount also - particularly the 1100. All are old (Netgear stopped manufacturing the sparc-based NAS in 2011).

The NV+ also has the v1/v2 challenge, and similar means of being sure you have the right platform apply - the NV+ v2 also says ReadyNAS NV+ v2 on the front panel, and runs the same 5.x firmware. 

Other labels are confusing - you will find NV+ v1 models that have labels that say v2 and v3 on them.  They don't mean what you might think - they refer to minor hardware revisions made during manufacturing, they don't identify the platform.

Unfortunately, some ebay (and other used NAS listings) use stock photos, and might not show the information you need to be certain of the platform.  So it is wise to confirm with the seller before purchase.

@crystalbrittle wrote:

...on what I think is disk 2...

I'm also open to trying to read the disk on linux to recover the data, if anyone has thoughts on that. Testdisk sees the following partitions:
ext3, Linux SWAP 2, Linux LVM2, Linux LVM2

Disk 2 is unfortunately more difficult than disk 1.  The v1 NAS have some hardware acceleration for RAID, and the mirrored disk (or the RAID parity disk in the NV+) doesn't have the same partition structure as the other disks.  The space used for mirroring the C volume isn't in the disk partition table.  As a result, I don't think the normal software tools can access the C volume (could be wrong on this, but I don't think I am).

Still, since there is some uncertainty it is worth a try. 

R-linux for Windows is a free utility that can recover disk 1.  

There is also an old blog post by dbott (outside the Netgear forums) that describes how to mount Sparc-based ReadyNAS volumes in linux.  While his blog is no longer up, it can be accessed using wayback - here is a link you can use:

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

When buying a used Duo, many will incorrectly label them, so be careful.  If there isn't a picture of the front that shows for sure the V1/V2 differentiation @StephenB mentioned, the size of the fan is a good method.  The fan on the V1 looks like yours does while the V2 has one that's larger, with it's diameter the full width of the NAS.  The V1 also has the recessed power connector, where the V2 does not.

Message 3 of 6
crystalbrittle
Aspirant

This is very helpful.

The important compatibility issue for reading disks on these systems is the platform (sparc vs arm).

And so the sparc-based (v1) Duo models as well as the sparc-based (v1) NV+ and NV models will work. And I should be able to rebuild my raid by inserting the mirror disk along with a new replacement disk (of the same model) in the other bay.

If this is correct, I will broaden my search, as well as making note of the clues to look for to verify I order the correct model.

Thank you!

Message 4 of 6
crystalbrittle
Aspirant

Thank you, these are two more very helpful clues.

Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@crystalbrittle wrote:

And so the sparc-based (v1) Duo models as well as the sparc-based (v1) NV+ and NV models will work. 

Correct.

One other detail - if the replacement NAS is running a different firmware version, the system will attempt to either upgrade or downgrade the OS on the disk to match.  Upgrades should be fine, but it's best to avoid downgrades.  The way to handle this is to first do a test install useing a spare disk.  Then either install the firmware version you were running on the original, or alternatively install 4.1.16 (latest and final firmware for sparc systems).

While you are at it, make sure that the system boots with the test disk in every bay (powering down, moving the disk, powering up).  Best to make sure the replacement system functions correctly with a test disk before you trust it.

@crystalbrittle wrote:

And I should be able to rebuild my raid by inserting the mirror disk along with a new replacement disk (of the same model) in the other bay.

Start by inserting just the mirror disk (maybe in slot 2 just to keep the ordering straight).  Then see if the system boots.

No need to match the disk model.  The HCL is no longer a useful guide - I suggest getting either a WD Red Plus disk or an Ironwolf disk.  Avoid the WD Red models - they are SMR (as are many desktop drives).  Not great choices for RAID, and sustained write performance with SMR can be very slow.

The sparc systems have a max disk size limit of 2 TB.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements