× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Debian CLI

jlazkano
Aspirant

Debian CLI

Hello,

I am new here, I just buy a ReadyNAS RN104 device.

I am so happy to see that it run Debian SO, so I have some questions about CLI:

1. For app installation: I see that there is a App menu in the web interface to install Transmission, could I install it by "apt-get install transmission-daemon"? I prefer to configure by command-line.

2. I see that there are some packages that could be update by "apt-get upgrade": bash clamav clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam libclamav7 readynasos tzdata. Is it a good idea to upgrade from CLI.

3. Is there something you don't recommend to do from CLI?

I will appreciate your help.

Kind regards.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Debian CLI

@jlazkano wrote:

clamav clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam libclamav7 readynasos tzdata. Is it a good idea to upgrade from CLI.

Netgear removed ClamAV from the RN100 series starting with 6.10.0 - because the platform doesn't have the resources to run it properly.   I suggest turning that service off. 

@jlazkano wrote:

1. For app installation: I see that there is a App menu in the web interface to install Transmission, could I install it by "apt-get install transmission-daemon"? I prefer to configure by command-line.

You can, but keep in mind that the OS partition is only 4 GB.  Normally apps are installed to /apps - which is a mount point for the .apps folder on the data volume.

@jlazkano wrote:

Don't do an apt-get upgrade.  That can break stuff.

In general, Netgear can/will deny support if they conclude that your use of SSH contributed to a problem.  https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

@jlazkano wrote:

clamav clamav-base clamav-daemon clamav-freshclam libclamav7 readynasos tzdata. Is it a good idea to upgrade from CLI.

Netgear removed ClamAV from the RN100 series starting with 6.10.0 - because the platform doesn't have the resources to run it properly.   I suggest turning that service off. 

@jlazkano wrote:

You can, but keep in mind that the OS partition is only 4 GB.  Normally apps are installed to /apps - which is a mount point for the .apps folder on the data volume.

@jlazkano wrote:

Don't do an apt-get upgrade.  That can break stuff.

In general, Netgear can/will deny support if they conclude that your use of SSH contributed to a problem.  https://kb.netgear.com/30068/ReadyNAS-OS-6-SSH-access-support-and-configuration-guides

Message 2 of 4
jlazkano
Aspirant

Thanks!

I see there is apache2 installed, so I will try rtorrent and rutorrent.

I did upgrade from command-line. Hope nothing is broken. How could I restore the original firmware in case I break something?

Kind regards.

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@jlazkano wrote:

How could I restore the original firmware in case I break something?

You'll need to do a factory reset (which also destroys the configuration and the data on the NAS).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements