× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Debug Code 50178 for NV+ v1

jumanji68
Follower

Debug Code 50178 for NV+ v1

On a recent reboot of my NV+, the chassis stopped at Booting...Found Bad Disk. When I boot it up in Tech Support Mode, I am able to use RAIDar to return Debug Code 50178. Can anyone provide a list of debug codes or provide additional information about determining which disk(s) are bad. I know that I can remove them from the chassis and test on another machine, but I do not have one readily available.

Thanks!

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 3
mdgm
Virtuoso

Re: Debug Code 50178 for NV+ v1

If you telnet in on the default port 23, you can look at the output of

# dmesg

and also run get_ata_errors on each of the disks

# get_ata_errors /dev/hdc

# get_ata_errors /dev/hde

# get_ata_errors /dev/hdg

# get_ata_errors /dev/hdi

If that doesn't find the problem disk then the process to check is a bit more involved. 

ATA errors can be a good indicator of disk failure but there are other SMART errors that can point to it as well.

Unfortunately smartctl isn't in the tech support mode environment on the V1.

Note if you are using X-RAID on the V1 then one disk is the dedicated parity disk and meant to have no partition table on it.

Message 2 of 3
StephenB
Guru

Re: Debug Code 50178 for NV+ v1

@jumanji68 wrote:

When I boot it up in Tech Support Mode, I am able to use RAIDar to return Debug Code 50178.

FYI, this is not an error code.  It's a code that Netgear can use to access your NAS remotely.

BTW, if you use telnet the username is root, and the password is infr8ntdebug.

In addition to @mdgm's commands, you can also power down the NAS, and remove the disks (labeling them by slot).  Then you can connect them to a PC (using either SATA or a USB adapter/dock) and test them there.  You can use vendor tools (Seatool's Seatools, or WD's Lifeguard or Digital Dashboard).

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements