× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Decrease in write speed performance

dchristey
Aspirant

Decrease in write speed performance

Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me?

I have recently moved the location of my ReadyNas Duo NV+ to another room. Originally it was connected via an Ethernet cable to a Netgear Gigabit Switch which was sitting next to my PC now its connected directly to my Router in a different room, as consequence I have seen my write speeds decrease by around 50% - before I was getting around 20Mb/s now I am lucky if its 10Mb/s.

I can't really think of any explainable reason for this so any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Dan.
Message 1 of 4
dbott67
Guide

Re: Decrease in write speed performance

What is the LAN port speed on the router? Does it have gigE LAN ports or just 10/100? If only 10/100 then that's the issue.

You can also check in Frontview > Network > Interfaces to see what speed the NAS is connected at:

The other thing to try is replacing the ethernet cable with a new (or known-working) CAT5e or better cable.

-Dave
Message 2 of 4
dchristey
Aspirant

Thanks for that - it is displaying as 100Mbit, I didn't think of that just presumed the Router my ISP provided would have that. Back to the drawing board...
Message 3 of 4
victorhortalive
Aspirant

IMO Routers are no good at switching and are best left to routing.
Get another GB switch (doesn't have to be other than basic, unless you need RSTP, VLANs or Port Control etc). Just make sure it does Jumbo Frames.
That said, one of the better ones is the Netgear GS108t V1 or V2 IMO.
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements