× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Deleted Files

DeputyDawg10
Aspirant

Deleted Files

On my Netgear ReadNAS Duo v2 when I delte a file I'm assuming it is gone forever.  Correct?

Do I have to do anything else to clear like a Recycle Bin or such?  I'm not wanting to recover anything.  I was just cleaning up my drive for more space. 

Also, does the system automatically update the backup #2 drive and delete the file(s) off of there?

Botom line is once I delete a file is there anything else I need to do to clean up the delted file(s)?

TIA

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Deleted Files

@DeputyDawg10 wrote:

True about the "mirror" verbaige, but if drive one goes bad can I not retreive the files from the "mirror" drive?

If one drive goes bad, the array is degraded but continues to function (with all data intact and accessible).  There is no retrieval process, you just use the NAS as you normally would. 

If the RAID volume becomes corrupted (which does happen) then you generally need a data recovery service (which is very expensive). The NAS can also fail in ways that compromise the data.  Backups are much cheaper than data recovery, and more certain.

How can I tell that the "mirror" drive actually is working and the files are mirrored on it?

The web admin dashboard will tell you if the RAID array is functioning (or not).  Paying attention to SMART stats (particularly sector reallocations and pending sector counts) is a good idea.  Setting up email alerts is recommended, you don't want to miss the warning signs when disk starts to fail.

You can of course pull a drive out with the NAS running, and confirm that way.  However, the NAS will need to completely rebuild the array when you replace the drive (which takes hours to days), and you have no RAID protection during that process.  So I don't recommend doing that (unless you have an up to date backup).

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

What firmware are you running?

@DeputyDawg10 wrote:

Botom line is once I delete a file is there anything else I need to do to clean up the delted file(s)?

Bottom line: no.

Some NAS do have a network recycle bin option (the v1 platforms do).  It is disabled by default, but you might look in the web ui to see if you can find it.

RAID is completely automatic - and with RAID-1 everything that changes is done in parallel on both disks. That includes deletions.

The second drive is not a "backup drive", and it really shouldn't be thought of that way.  It is a "mirror" that exactly reflects what is on the first drive.  You actually should have a separate backup of what is on the NAS.

Message 2 of 4
DeputyDawg10
Aspirant

Firmware is Raidiator 5.3.11

"The second drive is not a "backup drive", and it really shouldn't be thought of that way.  It is a "mirror" that exactly reflects what is on the first drive.  You actually should have a separate backup of what is on the NAS."

True about the "mirror" verbaige, but if drive one goes bad can I not retreive the files from the "mirror" drive?

How can I tell that the "mirror" drive actually is working and the files are mirrored on it?

Message 3 of 4
StephenB
Guru

@DeputyDawg10 wrote:

If one drive goes bad, the array is degraded but continues to function (with all data intact and accessible).  There is no retrieval process, you just use the NAS as you normally would. 

If the RAID volume becomes corrupted (which does happen) then you generally need a data recovery service (which is very expensive). The NAS can also fail in ways that compromise the data.  Backups are much cheaper than data recovery, and more certain.

The web admin dashboard will tell you if the RAID array is functioning (or not).  Paying attention to SMART stats (particularly sector reallocations and pending sector counts) is a good idea.  Setting up email alerts is recommended, you don't want to miss the warning signs when disk starts to fail.

You can of course pull a drive out with the NAS running, and confirm that way.  However, the NAS will need to completely rebuild the array when you replace the drive (which takes hours to days), and you have no RAID protection during that process.  So I don't recommend doing that (unless you have an up to date backup).

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements