× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Deleted Folders Visible to WDTV

Acciesboy
Aspirant

Deleted Folders Visible to WDTV

Hi,

I have ReadyNAS 316 running Firmware 6.1.8. I've shyed away from upgrading as everything seemed to work Ok and there ahs been nothing specific about any issues I have, so I haven't upgraded.

I have recently bought a WDTV Media Player and I have a bizarre where it sees folders which have been deleted. I bought the WDTV after the files were deleted, so it was never connected when they were in that location. I also noticed that the same thing sis happening with my Samsung TV...it can see some (but not all) of the same folders.

I use Transmission to download files. The completed downloads are stored in Transmission/Downloads. Once finished I Cut and Paste each folder from there to either Movies or Music as I appropriate. The files now exist in the new locations. When I browse Shares through the NAS interface, the folders are gone. They are in the new locations. When I connect via my laptop, the folders are gone from Downloads and exist in their new locations. My Samsung TV and WDTV both still see a load of folders in Transmission/Downloads but there are no media files within them. So basically I have page after page of empty folders when viewed from the WDTV or Samsung. I could just not ever use the files in the Transmission/Downloads folder, but sometimes we want to watch something which hasn't been moved across yet. I also have some non-technical family members who just can't get their heads round some things working and other things not without going on and on about it! So, for the sake of a quiet life and a tidy folder structure...is there any way for me to remove folders which are already gone??
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Deleted Folders Visible to WDTV

Are you connecting via DLNA?

If so, have you tried doing a full ReadyDLNA rescan?
Message 2 of 6
Acciesboy
Aspirant

I'm pretty sure it is DLNA (the folders have DLNA listed against them) I use the 'Media Server' otopion on the WDTV to select the NAS as a source.

How do I do a DLNA rescan? Is that like a re-index sort of thing?
Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

One option is to use "network shares" instead of "media servers" on the WDTV. That directly accesses the media from the NAS (avoiding the extra complexity of DLNA). I find that "network share" works out better for me. On the Samsung, you have no choice - you will have to use DLNA there.

Make sure that DLNA is not enabled on the transmission share! Click on each share that doesn't contain media in the admin UI, and select settings, then "network access" If DLNA (or iTunes) is enabled, then disable it. That reduces clutter when you browse your media from the players.

To rescan, select system, then settings. Click on the DLNA icon under services. You'll see a rescan control. That will scan all shares that have DLNA enabled for media, and update the DLNA database accordingly.
Message 4 of 6
Acciesboy
Aspirant

OK, looks like the rescan has helped. Now the old folders are gone and the WDTV can't see them. Didn't know I could force that manually, I always thought it sort of did it in the background. Some of them were deleted more than 2 months ago!

I also tried using network shares rather than media servers...what was throwing me previously was that the WDTV then gives me the option of "Windows Share" or "MAC Share." Seeing as we have no Macs in the house...I always chose Windows Share and it says no media is available! I just tried Mac share and it now finds all the folders on the ReadyNAS with AFP enabled. I thought I'd see how it compared...not all that great to be honest...flicking between folders seemed slower and I tested a few types of files...Video_TS files don't work well...they open and play for 5-10 secs then seem to freeze followed by loss of audio and stuttering video. It's almost as if the NAS can't keep up. If I go back, switch to Media server and so use DLNA the menus are fine and exactly the same media files play 100% fine with no loss of audio or video issues!

I'm OK with sticking to DLNA unless there are any major drawbacks with doing it this way?
Message 5 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You should use windows shares I think. If you have SMB configured properly on the NAS it should work fine.

However, if DLNA is working for you, you can stick with it.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements