× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Device names

miguel4063
Aspirant

Device names

I've purchased a ReadyNAS 312 and was wondering if it is capable of assingning names to my home network devices such that I don't have to use their IP but a name. For example:

Instead of a share like this:
\\192.168.1.10\share

Be able to use something like this:
\\mydevice\share

If this can't be done out of the box, is there a ReadyNAS app or Netgear device that would allow this without having to setup a separate PC with Windows Server?
Message 1 of 8
RX
Luminary
Luminary

Re: Device names

Kindly check these articles below and it might help:

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... -system%3F

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... JxbQ%3D%3D

Just to add, I tried this with our RN314 in our office and it works. 😄
Message 2 of 8
BaJohn
Virtuoso

For me using Windows (7 SP1 64 bit) I added an entry to C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file and rebooted, and this did the trick.
i.e. 192.168.1.2 XNAS # Downstairs Garage - 11/01/15.
I am not certain what the equivalent would be on a MAC, if that is what you have.
Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Most operating systems have a hosts file. It is archaic, but still can be used if the NAS has a static IP address.

But first try using the NAS hostname, and see if that works.
Message 4 of 8
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
Most operating systems have a hosts file. It is archaic, but still can be used if the NAS has a static IP address.
The implication from the originator was that there was a static IP address?
StephenB wrote:
But first try using the NAS hostname, and see if that works.
Why that in preference? Is there a technical reason, or is use of 'hosts files' deprecated in the 21st century?
Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

Well, first I didn't see any indication that the OP is using a static address.

The hosts file goes back to the original arpanet. All internet addresses and names were maintained manually by Stanford University in a single hosts file, which was then distributed/updated through file sharing. That was before DNS existed, and when the every device connected to the "internet" could be listed in one small file. So it is certainly archaic.

Ideally names and IP addresses are managed so they are consistent across the entire network. Having a hosts file on each PC which defines the names used by that PC (potentially different from other PCs), and using static IP addresses manually configured on each device (which perhaps doesn't match the IP address in some device's hosts file) doesn't accomplish that goal at all. If you use the hosts file much, it's a very easy way to create a broken network. It's also a target for malware attacks.

If I were Microsoft or Apple, I'd have removed it years ago.
Message 6 of 8
BaJohn
Virtuoso

StephenB wrote:
The hosts file goes back to the original arpanet. All internet addresses and names were maintained manually by Stanford University in a single hosts file, which was then distributed/updated through file sharing. That was before DNS existed, and when the every device connected to the "internet" could be listed in one small file. So it is certainly archaic.

Ideally names and IP addresses are managed so they are consistent across the entire network. Having a hosts file on each PC which defines the names used by that PC (potentially different from other PCs), and using static IP addresses manually configured on each device (which perhaps doesn't match the IP address in some device's hosts file) doesn't accomplish that goal at all. If you use the hosts file much, it's a very easy way to create a broken network. It's also a target for malware attacks.
Thanks StephenB ... filling the hole as usual. I just thought that with a small home network it would run quicker using the hosts file, on those machines that need it. (Not all).
Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

BaJohn wrote:
I just thought that with a small home network it would run quicker using the hosts file, on those machines that need it. (Not all).
Sure, and that is working for you.

But I wouldn't start by changing hosts.
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements