× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Device not accessible after balance started (6.4.0)

GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Device not accessible after balance started (6.4.0)

After the scheduled monthly balance job started, I lost access to the device.

It only answers to ping but ftp, smb, browser and SSH access is lost.

I ready that some other user have lost everything on 6.4.0 RN104 in the NETGEAR Communities.

Should I do a hard power off now, what is best to do now ?

(RN104 , 4 disks WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0, ReadyNASOS-6.4.0)

Message 1 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi GH,

Does the RAIDar still detect your ReadyNAS? Can also check if you can still access the UI or admin page? Rebooting the unit will be the best thing to do right now and it shouldn't cause any more problems.

I look forward to your response.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 10
Davexyz2
Aspirant

I have exactly the same thing  monthly balance  started - Unit completely locked up  power off button inactive.  Removed power, restart now stuck at rsync 75.02% no disk activity no access ssh, network etc but able to ping. 

Message 3 of 10
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Ok 

Tried USB firmware recovery after trying 6 different usb sticks gave up on this.  Tried standard firmware recovery, boots, reverts parameters ie Ip address etc but still completely locked up.  Managed to boot into read only.  now the resync is actually going on disk activity etc.

So to be on the safe side rather than reboot after the sync, will copy off all data , factory reset and copy back.

What is going on with this update

I have a number of RN104 units and  have had USB issues with all,   checksum errors on firmware on one unit which prevented upgrading ( probably a bonus)  and this issue with another.

This has been going on with Netgear since the V2 unit where firmware updates have been allowed into the field and a host of issues have cropped up with the treatment of the file system.  this has now manifested itself in the "lagship OS6" once again.

Stock "advice/Answer" trotted out is "do you have a backup, Raid is not a backup etc".  But come on  the the customer expects something to work as expected  not to  buy the product twice and in any case the same thing can happen on both units or on any other units or it may not happen at all.  What is the advice then "have a backup system from a different company".  This is not endowing any confidence in the product.

Yes I know that forums are generally where issues are reported and can be a bit onf a moanfest  but  what contitutes a complaint As I said I have multiple RN104's, seven infact, and all have issues and have had issues in the past.

I have made an investment in  Netgear products and expect some satifactory help  Yes I have used support in the past but even that is an issue as  the support is for the first 90 days and then you have to purchase support but if  a firmware update causes issues after this period you are on your own. NOT ON

Message 4 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davexyz2,

Can you confirm if you can still access the UI of the unit that started the resync process? For the rest of the issues that you've encountered like invalid checksum when updating firmware (refer to this link) and the USB issues will be addressed by our team. Kindly contact NETGEAR support to create a support ticket for the affected units.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 10
Davexyz2
Aspirant

The unit that I managed to get in read only mode has "successfuly" completed the resync To be on the safe side rather than reboot,  I am now moving all the data off, performing a factory default and moving the data back on.  Six days + wasted there.

As for the unit that failed to update, this had the checksum error.  Updated with the debian package.  "successfully" , once again the attached usb disk name changed.  Edited usb_map (in etc\frontview\usb) to restore original name.  All units still have multiple "phantom" usb names ie the new one given on update and the name in th UI seems to default to "5"!.  Cannot find where to remove this in any script as storage.conf does not seem to be referenced anymore by the Readynas.

Message 6 of 10
Davexyz2
Aspirant

Spoke too soon.  The unit has now frozen Pulled plug, Boot as read only, Resyncing again,  Still attempting to remove data to do a factory default

Message 7 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Davexyz2,

Thanks for the update. In case that you are still unable to get the data off your ReadyNAS and it continuous to resync, I suggest you contact our support team for further assistance.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 8 of 10
rugene
Guide

I have a RN314 6.4.2 that is also having trouble with a Balance operation. I have 4ea 2TB drives about half full. I've never run a balance before. I do run a scrub once a week. After the balance is running for awhile (10 minutes or so) the system hangs - stops responding altogether. This requires me to do a hard reset by holding the power button. When the system reboots, it again starts the balance and hangs again after about 10 minutes. I'm about 25% into the balance job.

First, how can I kill the balance job?

Second, does anyone know what is the issue?

thanks

Message 9 of 10
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi rugene,

You can through SSH but not in the admin page. Download the logs and send it to us. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements