× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Different size HDDs in RN204

Bangali
Aspirant

Different size HDDs in RN204

Hi,

I have recently bought an RN204 NAS with 2x 3TB HDDs and wanted to expand this (2 bays are empty). Currently it is set up in RAID format (although I'm not sure what setting - X-RAID/RAID5 etc) But I wanted to know if I go and buy 2x 6TB HDDs for example, would that give me a total of 9TB space and would I have to do any tinkering?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Different size HDDs in RN204

With xraid, 2x3TB + 2x6TB would give you a 12 TB volume size.  The rule is to sum the drives and subtract the largest.

The NAS reports in TiB though, so it will report ~10.9

You'd put in the the first 6 TB drive with the NAS running, and wait for the resync to complete.  Then add the second.  The expansion will take a while - likely ~ 2 days (and will require at least one reboot).  

If you have a full backup, I think it would be faster to do a factory reset with all drives in place, and then restore the data.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

With xraid, 2x3TB + 2x6TB would give you a 12 TB volume size.  The rule is to sum the drives and subtract the largest.

The NAS reports in TiB though, so it will report ~10.9

You'd put in the the first 6 TB drive with the NAS running, and wait for the resync to complete.  Then add the second.  The expansion will take a while - likely ~ 2 days (and will require at least one reboot).  

If you have a full backup, I think it would be faster to do a factory reset with all drives in place, and then restore the data.

Message 2 of 3
Bangali
Aspirant

Thanks very much StephenB.. Much appreciated..
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements