× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Differential (Bi-Directional) Backups RN3220 Series

radioguru6613
Aspirant

Differential (Bi-Directional) Backups RN3220 Series

Quick (they never are) question about running NAS to NAS backups... I have (2) RN3220 units where unit 2 backs up unit 1 weekly. About a month ago we decided to remove a Synology Rackstation from our NAS environment and migrated it into the RN3220 ecosystem.

The Synology was being used to backup photo images to the tune of about 2.7TB dating back to 2003 thru 2016. At some point in time our backup software (3rd party) that pulls images from each laptop editing station was changed and rather than continue to add images to the Synology RS units, it started to backup to RN3220-01.

Here is where I need a solution, I need to perform some type of differential or bi-directional backup between the Synology and the RN3220 or I can move all the files from the Synology to a directory on the RN3220 where something can run to sync the files and get them worked out as 1 chronological folder system.

I ran an rsync “pull” from the Synology and thought it would do a differential backup but that wasn’t the case.

I’ve spent a few days trying to figure out a solution but I’m fried, anyone have any suggestion on what I can do to process 2 folders with different and same files and directories where I wind up with 1 seamless backup.

For a better picture of how things are organized now, in the PhotoCluster directory pictures are sent to folders that correspond to Year, Month, Date and Camera Model so basically it plays out like this: 

PhotoCluster

P:.
├───2016_04
│ ├───2016_04_03
│ │ └───2016_04_03_NIKON D610
│ ├───2016_04_22
│ │ └───2016_04_22_NIKON D4
│ ├───2016_04_28
│ │ ├───2016_04_28_NIKON D4
│ │ └───2016_04_28_No Model Info
│ └───2016_04_30
│ └───2016_04_30_NIKON D4

Directory now has all images shot on 04_30_ 2016 from a Nikon D4

At this time 1 unit has newer info then the other and it's not just in the year 2016, images were deposited from several machines with files that dated through the last decade so to manually sync it would take monhts! The goal is to sync everything into 1 new master folder. 

Thanks in advance, 

Miguel

Model: RN3220|ReadyNAS 3220
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Differential (Bi-Directional) Backups RN3220 Series

Maybe run rsync with the readynas share as the source and the synology share as the destination? 

Then make sure it's what you want, and reverse the rsync (synology->readynas).  You have the synology share backed up on the readynas already, so it seems safe.

Doing this differentially on the readynas would require you to use ssh to enter the rsync command - since the first time the back is run it will do a full copy.  But it won't delete the files already in the share (as long as don't check the option to delete files not found on the source).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

Maybe run rsync with the readynas share as the source and the synology share as the destination? 

Then make sure it's what you want, and reverse the rsync (synology->readynas).  You have the synology share backed up on the readynas already, so it seems safe.

Doing this differentially on the readynas would require you to use ssh to enter the rsync command - since the first time the back is run it will do a full copy.  But it won't delete the files already in the share (as long as don't check the option to delete files not found on the source).

Message 2 of 4
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

If you have data on your RN3220 that matches exactly (or pretty close to) the Synology box, you should be able to complete an rsync backup from Backups. The first backup is always a full backup though -- you might be able to get away with canceling the first full backup and then running the incremental backup by just starting the job again. 

How did you configure this backup job?  I'm a little confused with what your existing structure is and what you want it to be in the end?

We don't have a bidirectional sync that would keep both in sync, but you could have a pull job rsync and a push job rsync and it should be incremental. 

Message 3 of 4
radioguru6613
Aspirant

The structure should be each year > month > day > camera and the images shot for that day in 1 location (NAS).

What happened was that the software we run (Photomover Pro) was changed from backing up to the master directory on the old Synology Rackstation and started to archive to the RN3220. The rest of the machines continued to save files to the original location. What I am facing is a vast amount of images that don't match between 2 NAS units and it's not just in say 2016 when we migrated but since the images are sorted to year > month and date, I can have images that were moved the RN unit that can be anywhere from 2003 to today. 

The orignal migration method was an RYSNC PULL from the Synology to the RN3220-01, what I didn't think to do until now was to run an RSync in the opposite direction as incremental... obviously I've made copies of the directories to experiment. But if this would result in the 2 units finding the missing files from each and I wind up with 1 organized master backup, then I'm all for it. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements