× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Difficulty Opening Office Files

mattebury
Aspirant

Difficulty Opening Office Files

OK, here's a weird problem I'm having. My wife's laptop can't open Microsoft Office files from her laptop that are stored in her folder on the NAS. However, she can open Microsoft Office files in my folder on the NAS. At first I thought it was a problem on the NAS, so I rebooted and had it run all the scans, came up negative. What's weird is, from my computer, I can open the files in her folder on the NAS no problem. I tried doing a complete uninstall and re-install of Office on her laptop, same problem. I tried reloading OS 10.8.3 on her laptop, no help. What's further complicating things is if I open a finder window and drag the file to her desktop, I can open it from there. She can see the files in her folder from both Finder and Office.

This only happens with Office files, all other file types open with their applications with no problem, PDF and JPG files

Here's the error message that Excel gives me from her laptop:

"SHEILA:DESKYOP- COPY:DAILY CALENDAR TEMPLATE.XLSX" could not be found.

Check the spelling of the file name, and verify that the file location is correct.

If you are trying to open he file from your list of most recently used files on the file menu, make sure that the file has not been renamed, moved, or deleted.

Here's the error message that Word gives me from her laptop:

Word cannot open the document. The document might be in use, the document might not be a valid Word document, or the file name might contain invalid characters (for example, \ /).

(5000-1105.doc)

The laptop is running 10.8.3
The NAS is a ReadyNAS NV+ [X-RAID] running RAIDiator 4.1.10 [1.00a043]

Thanks for your insights
Message 1 of 7
mattebury
Aspirant

OK, gets weirder. I renamed her share Bob and I can access the files from her laptop. I changed the share back to Sheila and the file would not open, same error.
Message 2 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Is her laptop or her windows user account also named sheila?
Message 3 of 7
mattebury
Aspirant

Not a windows machine, but I think I understand your question. The Hard Drive on her MacBook is called Sheila. Let me try that when I get home.
Message 4 of 7
StephenB
Guru

Usually this issue shows up if the machine name or user credentials (sheila) matches the public share name. I don't think the hard drive volume name would be a problem though.
Message 5 of 7
mattebury
Aspirant

Yep, that was the problem. The MacBook's hard drive had the same name as the share and once I renamed the hard drive, the files opened.

Thanks
Message 6 of 7
dtarin
Luminary

I just want to add that I also was getting the exact same "could not be found" error in excel. However I had to resolve it differently. The solution here didn't work for me at all since in my case my Mac HD was differently named than any shares. Instead I was having trouble with a volume called PUB on my NAS.

So I don't forget what I did next time I run into this I"m adding my solution here. 😃

After many weeks of just being puzzled, it dawned on me to check the mounted volumes. Even though I had ejected the Public volume from finder, I noticed that there were still two mount points listed by mount. Since that didn't seem right, I went ahead and unmounted the mount points using umount. Once I did that excel was able to open up all the excel files on the volume. I didn't have to restart my mac.
-------------
The steps in detail:

1) Eject the problem volume using finder by ejecting it or throwing the drive icon in the trash.

2) Type 'mount' at a terminal prompt. This is a sample output:
$ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
//abc@some-drive%20%28AFP%29._afpovertcp._tcp.local/PUB on /Volumes/PUB (afpfs, no browse)
//abc@some-drive%20%28AFP%29._afpovertcp._tcp.local/PUB on /Volumes/PUB-1 (afpfs, no browse)
//abc@some-drive%20%28AFP%29._afpovertcp._tcp.local/abc on /Volumes/abc (afpfs, nobrowse)

3) Using sudo umount, unmount the duplicate volumes.
$ sudo umount /Volumes/PUB
Password:
$ sudo umount /Volumes/PUB-1

4) Check mounted volumes with mount.
$ mount
/dev/disk0s2 on / (hfs, local, journaled)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, nobrowse)
map -hosts on /net (autofs, nosuid, automounted, nobrowse)
map auto_home on /home (autofs, automounted, nobrowse)
//abc@some-drive%20%28AFP%29._afpovertcp._tcp.local/abc on /Volumes/abc (afpfs, nobrowse)

5) Open the problem volume via finder so that it mounts it. Restart excel and try again to load the file from the NAS.

This worked for me.
Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements