× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Dilemma and is it possible on a Readynas Duov2?

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Dilemma and is it possible on a Readynas Duov2?

So what a journey I have had with my readynas duo v2 over the last year.

If anyone has followed my recent posts I am now in a position to kick my readynas duo back into action however I am dubious at the same time whether this is a good decision in the long run.

So to summarise my NAS had been locking up, in the end it was concluded from other members and myself that the disks that were in use were probably past their sell by date and possibly contributing to the issues I had been seeing, the logs also seemed to prove this.

So I have just recently purchased 2 x replacement seagate ironwolf disks, currently I have not used the them in this NAS for 3 reasons 1) trying to get the data back from the X-RAID original disks was a mission but luckily managed to recover all the important data I needed and now have this on a external hard drive (see my previous posts as I detailed what I used, certainly a thumbs up from me!) and 2) my dilmema is do I purchase a new NAS replacement considering the current unit is over 8 years old and isn't being updated anymore?  3) My current requirement for a NAS has now changed, one of the main reasons is I want the ability to sync the data i currently have in the cloud (for argument sake we say this is in Microsoft OneDrive) but I want the ability to sync this to a local NAS drive and dont think there is a suitable solution for me to do this was the DuoV2 via the embedded tools or even using a 3rd party tool (where choice is rather limited).

So if anyone has or has considered my situation based on their own requirements, what would you do? What would be the latest recommended Netgear NAS to choose from the current range based on this core requirement? My budget is undefined at the moment but I am thinking either a 2 bay NAS as a minimum but would probably prefer to have a bigger set (minimum 4) so I can also maximise the capacity of my disks, I probably start with the 2 2TB ironwolfs I have but then increase as I can afford to. Would I be able to start of with RAID1 and move to say to another RAID at a later date? 

I am currently looking at options, I may even consider another vendor ( I wont name the names but the two main home vendors of NAS are also under consideration).

Any tips, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Model: RND2000v2|ReadyNAS Duo v2 Chassis only
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Dilemma and is it possible on a Readynas Duov2?

If you are interested in a 2-bay ReadyNAS your options are the RN212 (arm platform) or an RN422 (x86 platform).  Both give similar performance for file transfers, but the intel platform would support more apps.

How well the cloud sync would work depends a bit on the specific cloud service you use.  There are several that are supported (OneDrive being one of them).

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

If you are interested in a 2-bay ReadyNAS your options are the RN212 (arm platform) or an RN422 (x86 platform).  Both give similar performance for file transfers, but the intel platform would support more apps.

How well the cloud sync would work depends a bit on the specific cloud service you use.  There are several that are supported (OneDrive being one of them).

Message 2 of 3
Sandshark
Sensei

If you think your storage requirement will grow (and they always seem to do so), getting a four or even six bay NAS can be cheaper in the long run.  Start with just two drives that are big enough for your immediate projection.  But then you have empty slots into which to put additional drives for expansion instead of having to replace them, which is much more cost effective.  I don't recommend you fill the unit with drives initially unless you really need the space now.  Spreading out the purchases is easier on the wallet as well as keeping some newer and less likely to fail concurrently.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements