× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Direct connect for storage (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus [X-RAID2] - RAIDiator 4.2.28 Firmware)

joeolsen
Aspirant

Direct connect for storage (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus [X-RAID2] - RAIDiator 4.2.28 Firmware)

Hello, I am sing a new dedicated machine for a Plex server (transcoding will be much faster) and I would like to continue to use the ReadyNAS for: 1) Direct storage to the Plex media server as all my media is stored on the ReadyNAS and 2) as I am using it now - a normal server accessed via IP on the network.

Couple questions -

1) In general, when someone hits my plex server and requests media, it will need to get the media from the NAS device and then transcode the media file and stream it to the end user. I am assuming this will be faster through either a) using the USB 2.0 port on the ready NAS for direct connect storage to the server or b) using the second nic on the back to direct connect to server. Is this correct? Or would the LAN access from the server (normal GB connection throughout LAN) be just as fast as setting up direct storage?

2) If direct storage would be poreferred, how do I do it? USB 2.0 port to server? Utilizing the second NIC? And how would I do either of those? I can't find related articles to help.

Thanks so much for your feedback/help.

Joe

Model: ReadyNASRNDP400U|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 3
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Direct connect for storage (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus [X-RAID2] - RAIDiator 4.2.28 Firmware)

It's NAS not DAS so you have to use the NICs. It's not a USB peripheral. The USB port is for connecting USB hard drives, printers, USB UPS and USB flash keys to the NAS.

A wired connection to the NAS would be preferable. I don't think a direct connection to the NAS would make much difference provided your PC already has a wired connection to your network.

Message 2 of 3
joeolsen
Aspirant

Re: Direct connect for storage (ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus [X-RAID2] - RAIDiator 4.2.28 Firmware)

Thanks for the quick reply! I appreciate the feedback.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements