× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Disable automatic snapshot pruning

Fruitmans
Aspirant

Disable automatic snapshot pruning

Firmware version 6.7.5

Ransomeware is a hot item these days. My fear is that this will happen to my company data one day. This is really not desired and the snapshot functionality which is available may protect my data agains undesired encryption. This is great! My only concern is that when the disks are getting en bit full and all my data files are changed by encryption (once or multiple times) the disks will be completely full because keep track in some way and store the data changes in the next snapshot. I think the situation may rise that my unencrypted oldest automatic/smart snapshots will be deleted by the encrypted new ones. This due to the fact that automatic snapshot pruning cannot be desabled and this is a big issue for me! Of course i can make manual snapshots once in a while but for me this is not desired. 

My questions are: 

1. Is my fear of automaticly "deleting" my snapshots in case of large data changed (when all my files are encrypted) really an issue?
  2. Is it correct that is cannot disable snapshot pruning or did i miss something?

With kind regards,

Rik

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay (Diskless),RN424| ReadyNAS 424 4-Bay with up to 40 TB total storage
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Replicate can create a temporary snapshot, back up that snapshot, and then delete it.  That ensures that the data being backed up isn't changing while the backup is being made.  That's described on page 28 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-COMMON/ReadyNAS%20Replicate%20UM_10Jul2013.pdf  

If enough files change while the backup is in progress, then the free space could drop to the point that triggers the automatic snapshot deletion.

The backups themselves are not snapshots, so they wouldn't be automatically deleted.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
TeknoJnky
Hero

well, as you already state, snapshots take up space, and when your space gets low, the system must release older snapshots.

Otherwise, your volume would simply fill up and no more data would be written.

It sounds like you really need to consider a proper backup system.

Neither a nas, nor raid, nor snapshots are a backup.

A backup is a separate copy of your data, on a different device(s), and ideally in different locations.

Nas's can fail, raid can fail, drives can fail, you can get virus/malware, you can have disgruntled employees who delete or corrupt your data, you can have fire/flood/etc, or theft.

Only backups will help you.

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@TeknoJnky wrote:

Only backups will help you.

Of course I agree.

In the specific case of ransomware, you'd want a local backup that is not directly reachable by the PCs.  Disconnected USB drives are one way.  A backup NAS with SMB, AFP, and NFS turned off is another.  A cloud backup provider that has unlimited storage is another possibility.  

I use Crashplan for disaster recovery myself (and also have a backup NAS with file sharing turned off).

If your primary NAS has 60% free space, then even if ransomware rewrites everything you still won't trigger the pruning.  Of course that is expensive.  And you'd ideally want to isolate the NAS when you see the attack begin.

Message 3 of 5
Fruitmans
Aspirant

Ok so "Only backups will help you" is something i understand and therfore i want to setup a remote backup with the help of Replicate. The idea is to do a remote backup once a week and keep 3 or 4 versions of this backup to be able to go back in time if required. This backup will only be used when the other original nas is gone or broken by whatever means. Question i have for this backup is what will happen with the snapshots that this backup scheme wil generate. Are these also automatically deleted when the space is needed? Like the local snapshots?

Purpose is to create a backup system that is fully automatic so no user interaction is requiered untill something whent wrong. 

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

Replicate can create a temporary snapshot, back up that snapshot, and then delete it.  That ensures that the data being backed up isn't changing while the backup is being made.  That's described on page 28 here: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-COMMON/ReadyNAS%20Replicate%20UM_10Jul2013.pdf  

If enough files change while the backup is in progress, then the free space could drop to the point that triggers the automatic snapshot deletion.

The backups themselves are not snapshots, so they wouldn't be automatically deleted.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements